Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, last night I was driving my 156 home and as i approached a junction I went down the gears. When i was in second i heard a strange noise. Like a metalicwhirlin noise. I didnt know if it was coming from my car or not but then noticed the lights on the dash to indicate the engine had cut out. Now the engine will not start. When I turn it over instead of the starter motor ticking and then the engine running up as soon as I turn the key it makes this strange noise, no tick tick tick start. Move of a constant metalic squeeeeeel. Please someone shed some light on this for me as im loosing my mind with this car now. :eek:

Cheers, Rossco

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
video it and put it on here,theres lot of lads who can have a better idea of problem listening to it rather than a written description:cool:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Does not sound like cambelt, would be a very simalar noise to a normal start only much faster due to lack of compression.
Could be many things but does not sound good at all, is the oil level ok,water?
Sounds like a seizure or water pump failure which would throw the belt or strip teeth, though this usually would make no sound????
Cambelt covers need to come off I would say.
Check all is well there before moving on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Belt was changed at 57'000. Car has now done 103,000. Probably due for a change. Oil levels etc are all ok. Got it booked in at local garage to have a look. Will they be able to sort it or best going to an alfa dealer. Heard there is a special tool or something to set up the timings which only alfadealers have.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Belt was changed at 57'000. Car has now done 103,000. Probably due for a change. Oil levels etc are all ok. Got it booked in at local garage to have a look. Will they be able to sort it or best going to an alfa dealer. Heard there is a special tool or something to set up the timings which only alfadealers have.
alfa independants have them ,wouldnt bother giving it anyone else unless they are tooled up for it,check their parts shelf for tipex :lol:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
belt change should be 36,000 or 3 years whichever is first.

·
Registered
38,875 Posts
If the belt hasn't been changed for 46k I would out money on the snapped belt being the problem. :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would say the cambelt has snapped, as if it snaps it can still make a noise when turning over, check and listen if it sounds like it is turning over quicker, if it sounds faster then id say the belt has gone.

The damage would have already been done so dont worry about turning it over again, you can get your fingers behind the cover on the top, pull it away from the cam cover and push the belt and see if it is really floppy.

If it has gone , it may also be due to the water pump seizing up and you would have damaged vavles.

If you take it to an indepenant place make sure they have the tools as it cant be done 100% without them.

Hope this helps......good luck

·
Registered
38,875 Posts
Also make sure the big end shells have been replaced.

If not the bottom end may start knocking within a couple of thousand miles.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
46k without a belt change:confused::wow: and 57k for the 1st belt change? that car used all its 9 lives right there:(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Garage I bought car from told me to change timing belt every 60,000 miles. Clearly that is wrong. Oh dear hope damage isnt as bad as expected.

·
Registered
38,875 Posts
Autolusso will do the work to sort the snapped belt for £850 Inc VAT, although they are a bit far from you.

Basically you will have a head full of bent valves, possibly damaged valve guides, and flat spotted big end shells.

You need a head re-build, new set of shells in the big ends, new gaskets and a new cambelt kit.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts