Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got myself a 156 sportwagon (2001) and everytime i mention to a friend (ive got an alfa) they say (oh no not an alfa). ive heard nothing but good things about em. am i out of the loop on something lol

·
Registered
912 Posts
You'll now find that people are jealous and just say the first thing that pops into their minds when they hear "Alfa Romeo". They're trying to make themselves feel better about owning a soul-less box on wheels.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know something thats exactly what i thought when they say that. I know the alfas have issues but i havent came across another car in the 7 years of driving that doesnt have issues. Infact i very much doubt i will ever find a car that doesnt have issues lol. the only thing i was worried about is if it turns out to be like saab..... where their biggest problem for their cars was sludging.

i wonder what alfas biggest problem is actually lol

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Ask them why they say that? They'll mumble something about unreliable, depreciation, rust... or (as you'll point out) some other 30 year-outdated stereotype.

(You) thought they knew more about cars than that...? ;)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I asked my mate what the problem was with em. he said " headgaskets go on them all the time". couldnt be bothered to argue with him and just said "find me a car maker that will never need a headgasket repalcement i think after that all that came out of his mouth was a drivle of **** lol <<<<<<<<, excuse the language lol

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Head gasket???? What a ****..! :D

T/Sparks do lunch their cam-belts and big-ends from time-to-time.. the JTDs do eat up the odd water pump... but head-gaskets are pretty much never mentioned on this forum.

My T/Spark is still on the 13-years old OE gasket @ 107,000 miles.. My 155 went to 180k before it burst its gasket... Shocking poor, isn't it? :D

Ralf S.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
Look on the bright side.

Due to the misconceptions you can get a great car for not a lot of money. :)

Their loss is our gain.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Head gasket???? What a ****..! :D

T/Sparks do lunch their cam-belts and big-ends from time-to-time.. the JTDs do eat up the odd water pump... but head-gaskets are pretty much never mentioned on this forum.

My T/Spark is still on the 13-years old OE gasket @ 107,000 miles.. My 155 went to 180k before it burst its gasket... Shocking poor, isn't it? :D

Ralf S.
lol i was told the exact same thing about my old saab 9-5 but the HG was never changed and it was sitting on 154k proved them all wrong lol

as nige said their loss is my gain lol

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
show them this month's CAR magazine review of a G QV on fleet for 6 months. Not a single thing went wrong, and they did c.20k miles in it.

my previous G 170JTDm2 did have two faults: gear knob broke off, and fuel cap release failed. Both "on the spot" free repairs at a convenient main dealer

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I asked my mate what the problem was with em. he said " headgaskets go on them all the time". couldnt be bothered to argue with him and just said "find me a car maker that will never need a headgasket repalcement i think after that all that came out of his mouth was a drivle of **** lol <<<<<<<<, excuse the language lol
I have owned and driven 10 different types of Alfa over 30 years and only one of them blew a headgasket, so I/d suggest that your mate is clearly clueless on Alfas.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
Unfortunately some poor bugger has to suffer the depreciation.:cry:
That's true but it 'aint going to be me !

Can't see me buying any car less than ten years old, partly by choice and partly due to financial constraints !

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem as well as one mate saying wow who's been brave????? Lol. Again when asked nothing but drivel comes out there mouths........ I was told I would regret buying my cosworth 8 years in its still going strong and never missed a beat so after being told ill regret buying an Alfa here's hoping she proves em wrong

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have owned and driven 10 different types of Alfa over 30 years and only one of them blew a headgasket, so I/d suggest that your mate is clearly clueless on Alfas.
he's is just the run of the mill know it all (apparently) lol told him where to go, got out side this morning to clean the car and the next door neighbour came out and said, enjoy the big bills on the alfa. luckly i dont like him so the middle finger went up lol

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Always comments from people that have never, ever owned one and those who know nothing about cars either.

Maybe worth pointing out to him that if it wasn't for Alfa Romeo, Ferrari may have never been and neither would we have enjoyed the Busso Masterpiece, of what is regarded as the best sounding V6 in the world, ever!

No doubt your neighbour drives something really exciting like a Vectra GLS 1.8i Special Edition, Limited.
"emmmm, you know where you are with a Vauxhall" (sporting a tone of Adanoids) :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
unfortunatly he drives another favourite of mine (saab). RIP. Well your right you do know where you are with a vauxhall(A sheep comes to mind) every other person has a vauxhall. this time along with the saab i wanted to be different, and i certainly made the right choice lol dont get me wrong vauxhalls are decent enough cars, just the run of the mill car tho lol

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
If it's a Saab 93 - that's still a Vectra, but dressed in drag... the lady boy version :lol:

I'd have to disagree about Vauxhall's being decent. If you're doing run of the mill, then go for a Ford IMO.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
The Saab engine's were all GM stock when they took over, same powerplant in the Vectra.
Was that x3 Nobles or x3 Mondeos? :lol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts