Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Doesnt make any sense!:confused:..Its just straight through!Silencer not doing anything there!Its a system made to fool the MOT inspector but then again it would be too noisy!
Now,if it had a bypass valve and a remap for less back pressure,that would be interesting:p

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have looking at one of these for my Abarth so I know something about how these work.

If you look closely you will see a removable Y-piece (actually there are two of these) that fits between the new backbox and the original exhaust. One Y-piece blocks the flow to the by-pass exhaust so all the gases go through the baffled backbox (for street use). The other Y-piece is open to both the backbox and the by-pass exhaust (for track use) – in this mode as the volume of the exhaust gas increases more of the gas passes thro’ the by-pass exhaust. That is freaking genius !!!! …….and appeals to my nerdy engineering side – fluid dynamics ROCKS !!!

The hassle is that the switching between Street and Track mode does involve jacking the car up and manually changing the Y-piece. However what I am looking into at the moment is buying an electronically operated butterfly valve and have a local exhaust shop modify the Y-piece – so that you could switch modes within the car

In the case of the G – it would be just sooooo cool if you could rig-up the by-pass valve so that in opens when in D

·
Registered
767 Posts
I don't know why alfa didn't install a electronic butterfly that activated in D! It's a shame because the car is a totally different beast in dynamic but doesn't sound any different to N and A. My dads got a 2010 audi S4 and when in normal and pottering about, it sounds like any other v6. but stick it in dynamic and floor it and it sounds like a supercar!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Assuming you mean the switches under the radio.. Only thing about them is they only have a push down function.. And the butterfly flap would need a up/down switch (open/close) i think. But when theres a will theres always a way!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts