Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my promotion is eminent and wife got a call to start at SASOL in her field of Finance from the Finance manager...oh yeah! This year looked like it started out crap, but now it turning out different. This means I can use my car allowance on a car and not to support my family by myself!!!

I'm in two minds, I'm going to get rid of the GTi but I want:

Suziki GSX-R750 (work and travel to JHB for work)
VW Caravelle (always wanted one...plan on taking lots of family trips this year)
Alfa GTV 3.0 with Cup kit and 19's ( Alfa GTV 3.0 V6 - Cape Town / Western Cape used car for sale - Gumtree Cape Town / Western Cape Free Classifieds ) It does not have the cup kit but the wheels are right up my alley..red is also the prefered colour.

But then I went with my friend to test drive a BMW 320d...:tut: No don't worry, I said I'll be making my Alfa comeback this year, and I'm not going back on my word, the newness of that car got to me...I want a new car

GQV in either dark grey or white...I need that!

What to chose???

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Congratulations on your wife’s job and your imminent promotion.:thumbs:
You need a car for work so get a new QV and do not look back.:thumbs:
You can save a couple of rand a month and buy a GTV cash as a toy.:cool:

As for the VW Caravelle :vomit:get yourself a proper 7seater 4x4 and you will have loads more fun with the family.:D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Since you are a family man...rather leave the bike out of the equation. Way too risky. If you were a single guy, I would say screw it, have some fun!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I love bikes so if that’s what you want get it.:thumbs:
Using it to travel to JHB is a bit risky especially since your work probably pay for the fuel when you travel for work.

A bike can not harm you it’s the person on it and the other idiots on the road that cause the damage.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason for the Caravelle is that its cheap...it will only be driven long distance for holidays and visits to the family in Kimberley. What 7 seater 4x4 do you know that's R60-70k???

I've always wanted a bike, not to speed or anything...but I've never rode on one...never.

·
Registered
274 Posts
get yourself a off-road and play in the mud!:thumbs:

get use to it then you consider getting a road going bike. A bike can be dangerous especially if you learned driving with a car before a motorbike. in other words you can not implement car habits on a bike you are going to get hurt.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
After riding bikes for the past 25+ years I will strongly advise against getting into the bike commuting setup at this stage. If you are determined to do it start of with something a bit smaller than a 750 and stay away from the Gauteng roads for the first year of riding.
Riding a bike in traffic is completely different than a car.
You have to think for all the drivers around you, learn to read the body language of the other vehicles on the road.
It sounds crazy but you get to a stage where you can basically predict what a cars going to do before they do it just by observation.

Rather take the R40 000 for the bike, ad it to the R60 to 70k for the Caravelle and get a nice 7 seater 4x4. Then the whole family can enjoy a new experience.

Don’t tell my wife I said this but a bike tends to be a selfish indulgence. Especially if you have kids since your wife will not be in a position to enjoy it with you.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked out 250cc scramblers this morning...maybe I should start there?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
:thumbs:
If it is off-road rather get a 125, they are much stronger than what you think

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If i'm going to 1st learn it would be better to get something dirt cheap, no? Like under R10k?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Tjoma I got a bike for that same reason and now I can say goodbye to ever driving an alfa manual ever again.
Ps I also started with 125/200 bigger bore on of scrambler.
PSS. your family's future looks to promising like RNDM GRK said.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
For long distance cruising, none of the bikes you mentioned will work well. You will need a touring style bike. Sports bikes are for short sprints, scramblers are a lot of fun and keep a lot of orthopedic surgeons in cash. If you want to use a touring bike do a riding course on one.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Buy a GTV and a 159 Ti. You won't even want to drive anything else, and will spend every saturday morning fighting with the wife over what she must take to do the shopping and what you'll be using to scare the local traffic...:eek::D

Kidding. That GTV looks good, but the price is a bit steep for the milage. You can get a later model with less milage for that money. And the owner needs to learn how to take pix without getting his fingers over the lens!:cheese:

If you really need 7 seats then rather get a Pajero 2800 Diesel

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I've seen what he's done!!! Lovely...those 18's with the painted centers fit the car perfectly!

P

·
0 Posts
Guili, I see no mention of buying shares? :cheese:

I'm putting away serious amounts of money for the 4C now. But a GTV like this is also on my shopping list...

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL shares will have to wait...I'll purchase once I'm happy, right now I'm not happy, I need an Alfa in my life, not sitting in my garage.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been thinking again, which is a bad thing. My dad was looking at that black GTV in the Gummies and he wants it...I also want a GTV or a GTA...damn

I want a newish car but I'm not going against my principles of car buying, I can not by a car for R300k that has half leather...some have xenons...when I think of it i want to cringe. I need to go drive a GQV standard, and modified again before I make a final decision. Obviously I'll be traveling alot for my work so a GTV or GTA is not ideal, but I can't see myself paying R6k pm on a car with sub par features...really.

I hate this.

I just open my My Pictures folders and start looking at my GTA and GTV pic collection and I start to laugh and smile...those cars make me happy!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts