Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time had come to sell our main car and I thought the timing could not have been more perfect there would be demo Mitos for sale and the choice would be easy. Or so I thought.

Now before I continue let it be known I love Alfas especially old ones. The thoughts below are all IMHO.

My current main car was starting to cost a few pounds for it's up keep and I wanted something cheap to tax/service/insure/great MPG. So which Mito would cover all that??? early on it would appear that the 1.3 diesel would cover it however it seemed to run out of puff quite quickly to me anyway. No worries we'll try the 1.4 16v...... Gutless even in D mode and the ride was interesting on both cars quite like my 500. So I was left with either the 1.6 diesel or 1.4 155Bhp.

Now in between test driving the four versions I went to a mini dealer (it's ok if some of you give up reading at this point I'll understand) fully aware that the mini cost's a good deal more than the Alfa. However they had a number of demo cars with very low mileage and what would seem a good deal off the OTR price or to be more accurate about the same as I was willing to spend on the Alfa mito. The price they gave me for my car against a march reg'd cooper D was much more than expected however I liked the mito's looks better and I was prepared to give the mito another try.

Having gotten home I phoned the alfa dealer to arrange a test drive for the SAturday and to price servicing. A 1st service for a mito 1.4 16v/1.3 Jtm is £301.00 including air con service or £120.00 more than minis TLC service plan which covers three years servicing and brake fluid change which was already included in the purchase price of the mini I had looked at. Still not put off (bearing in mind my original requirements) I was going to test drive the remaining mito's on offer hoping I'd find a winner.

The mini dealer phoned me and offered an extended test drive for Saturday which was ideal as I could take the mini through to Edinburgh for the test drives of the last two mito's. To say I was impressed with the mini was an understatement however I was still going to drive the mitos as at this point I still wanted a mito. The mini spec was 16" wheels no sports suspension. I have no doubt 17" wheels and sports suspension would have upset the mini's ride. Upon getting to the Alfa dealer I parked up next to a red mito got out had look at both cars yup mito still looking better so far so good.

First up 1.6jtm Lusso on 15" rims. Bring it back in an hour or so says the dealer..... I spent 5 minutes with it (more than an hour with the other models). The ride is just not on a par with the mini what so ever and as this was going to be my main car I just could not put up with it and the quality of the materials again not as good as the mini sorry but it's just not. I can now see why the mini cost's extra and to be fair had I not got a deal on one I would not pay the retail price for one as it is expensive for a small car.

I was disappointed but I could not dismiss the mini just because there are so many on the roads I can now understand the reason for it.

Cooper D model £35.00 a year to tax, £180.00 three years servicing 60mpg which I can attest to as it never dropped below this figure doing mixed driving during the time I had it.

My other car is a new Fiat 500 before anyone has a go about the above. I love it and to be fair when it comes time to change that I do believe I will get a mito. However for me and my requirements for a main car you must try harder Alfa (this does not include how it looks).

Again this is all IMHO and the requirements I set out at the start. Prior to this I have never put much thought into any car purchase and explains why I lost sooo much money on my trade in.

I await the fall out :D

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I hate to say it, but I would likely do the same. The Mini is a hard car to beat.

Do none of the other new Fiats tick the boxes for you?

·
0 Posts
Mebee you should post that on a mini forum :D

Fair do's though, sounds like you gave it a fair shot - on looks alone I would have a mini, neither the 500 or the MiTo do anything for me

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for being kind people. (so far but it is early :D)

As I say I tried every model in the mito range and I've been stung so badly with my trade in I needed to many boxes to be ticked.

There were no other Fiats I liked to be honest and to be fair the ride in my 500 is not the best either but it's fun for a 2nd car. I truly wanted to get the mito but between the deal and the combined running cost's of the mini I couldn't turn it down.

I even tried to get the same price/deal from Eastern Alfa but they couldn't get near it.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Oh my; I hate the MkII New Mini. The first one looked alright and was quality inside, even if the reliability of my brother's was appalling.
I've read many MkII owners saying the quality is pathetic compared to the first. Not only that, I think it's hideous as well; looks like a bloated version of the last one and is nowhere near as nice as the MkI New Mini.
The reason there are so many Minis around is because it's a fashion accessory. Also, the interior is vile.

Fiat 500? Now that's a different story completely. Fabulous car; I'd just lower it and get a strut brace, absolutely love em. Was within a couple of weeks of ordering one when I decided to wait to see the Mito first. Look great inside and out, seats are nice, dashboard design is much nicer than the Mini's, even if it is made of harder plastics below the main fascia.

Not saying you're completely wrong, just pointing out my opinion.
What spec is the Cinquecento?? :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 500 is a 1.2 sport dualogic.

As I said my post was IMHO :D

Most car forums I read are full of problems but few with positives. In fact I've just posted on the fiatforum about the 500 passing the 20K mark and the only bad mark was an issue with the dualogic box after 100 miles and took 3 weeks to fix however since then nothing very pleased as it's my first Italian ever!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Can't believe you thought the Mini has a better interior. I have test drove both a Mini Cooper and Alfa MiTo in the last month and I really dislike the fisher price plastic interior in the mini, very cheap looking, although nowhere near as bad as the new Fiesta, which while really good looking on the exterior I just couldn't buy one with that ugly interior. The Mini however I could probably live with the interior, but it pales in comparison to the MiTo's interior which I think is the best in it's class by some margin.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The 500 is a 1.2 sport dualogic.

As I said my post was IMHO :D

Most car forums I read are full of problems but few with positives. In fact I've just posted on the fiatforum about the 500 passing the 20K mark and the only bad mark was an issue with the dualogic box after 100 miles and took 3 weeks to fix however since then nothing very pleased as it's my first Italian ever!!!
I love the Fiat 500. Went to two dealers to look at them and spec them up. The second dealer was in Southall and there was a lady in there who was absolutely fantastic; the two men there didn't ask if i wanted any help (me and my brother) and just gave us funny looks; not sure why, we were well dressed and arrived in an audi jeep with a 20year old driving :confused:

The lady was picking things up outside as we walked outside and caught a glimpse of a punk grey 500; because she was picking up rubbish, we thought she was a cleaner, but she sat us down, gave us a quote and I feel bad not capitalising on such service. She even phoned me 6months later on the date I gave her to follow up; now that's service.

·
Registered
178 Posts
do you really think you will be getting a proper service for that money, talking to an independant bmw mechanic a few weeks ago he told me he has had loads of 3 and 4 year old minis coming in needing a fortune spending on them as things that needed doing had not been done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do you really think you will be getting a proper service for that money, talking to an independant bmw mechanic a few weeks ago he told me he has had loads of 3 and 4 year old minis coming in needing a fortune spending on them as things that needed doing had not been done.

Loads really?? that could happen at any dealer for any make of car. Besides I only intend to keep the car for 2.5 years so I'll not need to worry about that.....

And if BMW/Mini weren't doing what they should and as many people point out there are loads on the road do you not think we would have heard something by now about all the dishonest mini dealers???? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mini Vs Mito

I hate to say it, but I would likely do the same. The Mini is a hard car to beat.

Do none of the other new Fiats tick the boxes for you?
We had a Cooper for four years / 75000 miles. Never missed a beat. 4 trips to the dealers all for a service , all included in our extended TLC. Replaced it with a Coooper Clubman. 18 months on 20k miles , been to the delaers once for a service.

Alfa Mito, 4 months 1200 miles, 6 visits to the dealers, car has been been there for 8 weeks out of 14, now solicitors trying to get me out of it. Currently hiring a SEAT LEON as ALEXANDERS garage took the courtesy car back once we said we were rejecting it. So much for customer care and trying to talk us out of it, not even an apology, which is what has pissed the Mrs off the most (that and always being given an old Corsa as a courtesy car !)

Not a difficult decision forget the MIGHT GO and buy the MINI. Looking for a Cooper S to replace it !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well as this seems to be the Mini vs. Mito thread I may as well join in! I started out looking for a fun but practical second car. Had 4 test drives in a Mito and came very close to buying but just couldn’t take the final step. I was worried about Alfa’s rep but also not convinced by Mito’s ride/handling/steering. Also did not like the servicing costs. And no local dealer.

I now have a Cooper S on order. I was convinced after the first test drive and doubly sure after the second. The looks between the two are very different but I like both. Interiors also very different, not sure which I prefer, but when I’m in a car I’m mainly looking out, so not too bothered. Mini’s ride/handling/steering felt much better to me.:)

I’m still hanging around here as I still harbour warm feelings for the Mito and the Mini forums are a bit boring! I’m sure if I had bought a Mito I would not have regretted it so I’m not saying Mito owners have made the wrong choice just the Mini hit the spot for me. In case I don’t post again – happy motoring Mito owners, you’ll always get a second look from me and I’ll wonder what if… :lol::thumbs:

·
0 Posts
We had a Cooper for four years / 75000 miles. Never missed a beat. 4 trips to the dealers all for a service , all included in our extended TLC. Replaced it with a Coooper Clubman. 18 months on 20k miles , been to the delaers once for a service.

Alfa Mito, 4 months 1200 miles, 6 visits to the dealers, car has been been there for 8 weeks out of 14, now solicitors trying to get me out of it. Currently hiring a SEAT LEON as ALEXANDERS garage took the courtesy car back once we said we were rejecting it. So much for customer care and trying to talk us out of it, not even an apology, which is what has pissed the Mrs off the most (that and always being given an old Corsa as a courtesy car !)

Not a difficult decision forget the MIGHT GO and buy the MINI. Looking for a Cooper S to replace it !

So long then - all the best :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Made sure i got the Mitos servicing chucked in gratis - so my costs on service in thefirst 4 years is - err nothing. Slightly better than the minis TLC pack :)
The mini probably does ride and drive slightly better than the mito but i hate the looks, the interior is simply awful, the boot is a joke and worst of all they are everywhere. I hope the mini continues to massively outsell the Mito (undoubtedly it will) and it may just retain its exclusivity.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I passed 20 minis this morning on a 15min drive to work and guess how many Mito's non. That is why I would go with the mito couldnt be just another Mini owner how boring and dull. I love my cars and I could not love a mini!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was considering the Mini Cooper D - got as far as the dealers and sitting in it - no farther. The toy car interior was horrible, the boot useless (as I suspected) and everything about it appeared smaller and cheaper than I expected. Driving it would not have changed my inability to live with it as it was.

The MiTo on the other hand was bigger and more comfortable than I expected - 4 adults, all their weekend gear including a load of sports kit comfortably survived the M6 jams last weekend for a 400+ mile trip.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Sounds like you took your time and made the decision with your head, can't fault you for that. I was left less than impressed with the Mito over my 147, and with the 147 replacement looking like a 5 door only model it looks like I'll be off to another brand when the 147's life is up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The Mini TLC pack is alittle bit misleading....in that the car already has the bulk of servicing cost built into the purchase price and you then add the extra on to gain this benefit....if you do not buy the TLC pack you are affectively paying for the servicing twice....they should really offer the price of the mini without the pre-loaded service costs in then you would see the true value. :)

1 - 20 of 103 Posts