Registered
33,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I’d decided I wanted a 159 but now I’m not sure. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
33,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When did you get rid of the 156? Sportwagon 159 Ti. Thats what I want. Stromboli grey probably..
I sold it a week ago.

I'd love a Ti. Stromboli grey would be my colour of choice too but unfortunately a good one is out of my price range and the Lusso which I can afford is just not doing it for me.

·
Premium Member
45,008 Posts
Have you driven one yet? I was driving a 1.9 last week and I've got to say it's not a patch on my 156 1.9 16v, felt slow and unresponsive where my 156 feels lively and nimble. Very refined though, but if that's what I was after I'd save myself about ten grand and buy a 166. If you're getting a 159 it's gotta be the 2.4 really, unless you only do about 3 miles a year in which case V6.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm with you as regards the 156 vs the 159, I had the 2.4 jtd (really great car) years ago and now have the 159 LE (1.9 jtdm), they sure do feel slugish and heavy now, not to mention thirsty.

You do get loads for your money in comparison to Audi's, beemers etc and you feel more special on the road in an Alfa.

I'm a bit disappointed about mine eating the inside of the 19" front tyres, noisy engine inside the cabin, squealing brakes, strange handling and thirstyness.

To be honest, I can live with all these things because I have a passion for Alfa's, but in my personal opinion they need to be lighter and more responsive and drive more like the 1.9 A4 red i.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
The multi spoke wheels on the 1.9 i just dont like, the " teledials " on the 2.4 are imo much nicer.
its just finding a 1.9 with them on.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Well remember if you don't want a 159 there are lots of lovely alternatives .... like a Mondeo, or a Passat, or a Honda, or a Toyota :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
856 Posts
I would respectfully suggest that you take a 159 for a test drive before you get too excited. It is a very different car to the 156, in both good and bad ways, but if you really liked the 156, you may well not like it.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
Ros this is just an excuse to start another thread. :rolleyes: :lol:

I'm on 159 No.4 and have loved them all, 2.4, both 1.9's and now the 2.0, but you should test drive one - the difference between a 159 and a 156 is night and day. You might decide that you like the change or not. The 159 feels bigger and heavier (as it is) than the 156 but in terms of build quality and comfort and handling it is superior. Other than that it is a GT which is closer to 'feel' and driving experience to the 156 so if this is what you want go for a GT. TBH I wish I could have my 159 SW and a GT Cloverleaf to replace our Golf.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
For gods sake just buy a friggin car man!!!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
76,983 Posts
Ros this is just an excuse to start another thread. :rolleyes: :lol:
He's a shocking attention seeker isn't he? Wait until he finally gets one....it'll go quiet then there will be about 4 threads of maybe I have/maybe I haven't then a couple of dozens posts in other threads inviting questions then shutting them down.......

Then a more firm maybe thread.....

Then a confirming thread with a pics thread promised....

Then he'll decide he wants a Seat.;)

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
he's more than welcome - it was reasonably quick at oulton park with the mango's box on, much better now with gus's handywork ;)

gaz has driven it (with the mango's box) and even he said it felt quick, coming from a gtv 3.0 :D

156's are more pointy and lighter on their feet, but the 159's have soooo much more grip and feel very sure-footed. at least mine does on the 18" horseshoes anyway

·
Registered
73 Posts
Depends on your finances really. Buy one, live with it and see if you can (A) afford the running costs (depending on spec) and (B) understand that the 159 is a large, heavy well appointed cruising machine that will attract many admiring glances, but sure ain't no perfect all rounder.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts