Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my latest 155 has done the same as the first one and decided to cut out at 90mph in the fast lane of the M1. Very entertaining in rush hour traffic.

Now, the first one that did this had snapped the cam belt, fortunately this one hasn't, and it looks like it's electrical.

If something like this has been discussed before, please just point me at the topic, otherwise any advice is very welcome.

It's a '96 V6, the engine cut straight out at speed, no spluttering or anything, just dead, injector light on. The nice man from the AA tested as much as possible, no spark, but reckoned that we had power to/from the ECU and to the crank sensor, he couldn't find a cam sensor which he reckoned was fitted somewhere. The code light goes off, so immobiliser must be OK. Engine turns over fine.

Before I try and test every sensor/relay in sight, or alternatively set fire to the car as I cannot face breaking another up, anybody had similar experiences or any obvious places to start on this particular car.

Forgive me if I currently feel I should never have bought another.......

Thanks

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Error code says 4444, so I'm still totally confused....

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
see if it starts ok when cold.........i would think its the tdc sensor but the AA man said not (so it must be true)..does the fuel pump run.?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine died just like that last week.

The ECU has gone off to be checked and there is another sensor on the engine which was faulty (translated via missus, who spoke to the garage, so can't be more specific at the moment).

The RAC man said that if the ECU thinks there is no injecting/igniting to be done, the injectors won't squirt and the ignition won't spark, so you'll have a good feed to the coil and injectors but no activity from either (hence the sudden cut-out, rather than the slow lingering "out-of-fuel" feeling you normally get when a carb'ed car ignition dies).

Anyway, it could be a crummy earth, or an ECU, or (probably) something somewhere in between.

Ralf S.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm assuming you check for any bad connection and can't find anything. That black pastic box on the bulkead has some relays and fuses in there and one of those feeds the ECU, so if it's not anything there then it's diagnostics time.

Ralf S.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The thread was called "Tribbles in the Warp Core". I dunno about posting a URL. There's some other suggestions there too.

Anyway, that's all from me now (not REALLY trying to increase my posts count....)

Ralf S.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone....

JB, its been stood a day now and still won't go. I watched the AA guy test for a spark, but I was sat in the car so didn't actually see where he arc'd it. If the fuel pump cut out, would the car splutter before stopping, or once the pressure has gone would it just cut dead like mine did?

When it turns over it doesn't 'feel' like its sparking, but without fuel I suppose it would just spin around anyway. I can't smell fuel either.

Problem is it's stuck in the car park at work (sad, but I really had to get there by a certain time, so got towed there rather than home....)so I haven't been able to test anything, I'll take some tools in tomorrow. I tried to listen for the fuel pump priming today but it was so windy in Chesterfield (it always is..why Wrinx?) I couldn't hear anything at all.

I might tow it home tomorrow if I can find the enthusiam, otherwise the security guard at work will have to sit staring at it for a few more days.....ho hum

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just sat in the 16v, and can clearly hear the fuel pump priming. I then sat in the V6 and couldn't, although the air con seems to have a life of its own and starts to whirr and rattle after a second or so.

I would have thought the fuel pump is the same on both, so I should also hear the V6 priming. Is this right? Looks like the AA man may have sold me a duff...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:D :D im saying nothing...........

anyway some cars only prime when you turn the engine over....... also look at the fuses and relays under the plastic cover on the bulkhead.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Replaced all the relays and the 15a fuse, no difference.

Does anyone know which relay of the 3 is the fuel pump (the left hand one?).

Thanks

Tim

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, is it straight forward to extract the pump from the fuel tank. The parts CD lists a seperate pump, but the diagram looks mis-leading, I'd expect to see the pump alongside the float under the plastic cover in the boot...?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And, would the ECU detect a problem with the fuel pump and prevent sparking happenning (hence the AA man didn't see a spark, or was he just a plank).

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the main ecu feed fuse will stop the pump and the spark if it blown.

you can test the pump by lifting up you rear seats and boot carpet remove the plastic cover and power the pump by putting power directly to it.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone, I towed it home tonight (in the snow, why does it snow, rain or be bollock freezing when things like this happen....).

Anyhow, I'll have me thermals on tomorrow prodding everything in sight with the electrical tester. I'll power the pump from one of the rear lights, lets face it, if I mess up and set fire to everything, at least I'll be able to warm my hands up.

I reckon I'll get banished from the site with this next statement, but why oh why does the 155 have to be so complex. My 75 3litre is so simple in comparison, yet is faster, more economical, handles better and has been totally reliable in the 70K miles I have done in it (now at 130K)....OK simple except for the stupid inboard rear brakes.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The same thing happened to our V6 on the M6 just outside Birmingham two years ago. We were thundering along, I was having a snooze when the car literally 'died' and the old man had to coast onto the hard shoulder where we sat waiting for recovery. All the dashboard lights were on but not a dicky bird. We were imagining all sorts of dreadful things and when we eventually got the car to a main dealer it was the ...........

ignition relay. Cost £20 ish.

Probably caused by the dealer who we bought the car from steam cleaning the engine and moisture getting into it. We've had no other problems since and will never have another engine steam cleaned again.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts