Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Giulia Speciale MY17
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been done before. I am yearning to own an Alfa again after previously owned two.
I presently have a 2006 Subaru Legacy RE estate, which I do like and is very reliable, but it doesn't excite me in the way Alfa's do.

My delemma is which one to buy post 2009? Do I get the Brera, 159 Sportwagon Lusso, 159 Sportwagon TI. Also which engine to get, discount the V6 is too expensive to run. All the TI I have seen are way above book price. The other thing is I have a German Shepherd/Malamute cross, who I take with me but only on short journeys.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Welcome to AO!

Brera.

A 1750TBi if you can find one.

Get the Mrs to walk the pooch to where you are going if it's only a short distance. ;)

·
Registered
521 Posts
The dog's not going to be happy with the Brera unless (s)he's going to sit in the front. And tho' I'm sure (s)he's a lovely dog, I wouldn't want to upset that combination

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Sportwagon seems the obvious choice with a dog. That said I'm not sure exactly how big they are in the rear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sportwagon seems the obvious choice with a dog. That said I'm not sure exactly how big they are in the rear.
Thanks for all your help. My dog will fit in a sportswagon. Went to see one on Saturday a 2.4 jtd ti at Speciality cars Huddersfield, not sure if he wants my car as PX as I haven't heard from him. Still I have now decided that it will be a sportwagon TI.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Sportswagon TI would be the choice - where as a GTA Sportswagon whilst fun would not be cheap to run :)

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Our german shepherd fits easily in a 159 Ti SW .... though the boot is hardly in the pristine condition it was when we got the car. I am always amazed that the dog has any fur left given how much is in the boot.

She does prefer the 156 though - cleans your ears as you drive while sitting on the back seat. Oh, and she's learned to release the seat catches in the 159, which is unhelpful.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our german shepherd fits easily in a 159 Ti SW .... though the boot is hardly in the pristine condition it was when we got the car. I am always amazed that the dog has any fur left given how much is in the boot.

She does prefer the 156 though - cleans your ears as you drive while sitting on the back seat. Oh, and she's learned to release the seat catches in the 159, which is unhelpful.
Well I have done it have just bought a 159 2.4 JTD TI saloon. It was in my price range and got a decent price for my Subaru. Will get seat covers for the dog. Thanks for all your input, I will soon be back in the Alfa world. :thumbup::thumbup::happy:

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
I couldn't find one. I am sure I will be happy with my 2.4 ti. Just one thing I read that my08 has Q2 as standard, could anone confirm this?:biglaugh:
From 2008 they started using the words Q2 to refer to their active electronic traction control system (auto braking of slipping inner wheel when under power), the 159/Brera/Spider range has never had anything but conventional open differentials fitted.

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Yep, eQ2 and the annoying flashing hazards when driving vigorously came in late '08.
Its a good system, its better to have it than not. But nowhere near a good as the proper Q2 torqbue biasing differential or the Quaife equivalent which fits the other model's gearboxes.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Yep get seat covers - the leather in a 159 is not as tough as the 156. Dog will be happy that it can help with the driving....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts