Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this relatively recent article has surfaced before but I always thought that the GT would have been a brilliant cabriolet. :rolleyes:

Well there was some poetic justice in the fact that the GT sold 4 times more than the Brera. It's still my favourite Alfa of all times. :D

The car that Alfa should have built

·
Premium Member
76,998 Posts
Fantastic looking car isn't it? I was spying one of them a week or so back on t'internet.

That would have given Audi and BMW something to think about, I'm sure, on looks alone.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fantastic looking car isn't it? I was spying one of them a week or so back on t'internet.

That would have given Audi and BMW something to think about, I'm sure, on looks alone.
To those with style and grace :rolleyes: it stood out like the proverbial dog's bullocks, that it would have been very handsome indeed.

After sending this post I'm going downstairs with an angle-grinder to convert mine. I'll upload photos when I'm finished. :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What a missed opportunity.

Around 2005/6 I was looking for a different car to my Mondeo and my starting point was to look at BMW, Audi and Saab four seater convertibles. Nothing appealed, especially the BMW's driving position. A GT would likely have done it for me. Ended up with a 350Z (not a love affair either).

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Pretty looking car :thumbs:

Salute, Giordano.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Sorry. Been posted before & my opinion stands....yuk.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
me too, but that's not the question - which is....would it have sold in decent numbers?

And as for "yuk" from SR.....:lol:......
Fair enough it does come down to personal tastes and I think the example shown was in some ways poorly and amateurishly photographed. From the first day I had my GT I used to look at it and imagine how good it would look to have a roofless version.

I would go so far as to bet my left agate that given the climate and culture of Australia it would have sold like hot cakes and would have really helped to put Alfa back in the limelight. This would have also been the case in much of Asia. I guess we'll never know, given the cookie cutter, ho-hum, (IMO), models coming out of Alfa nowadays.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Didn't have to look far to get it from a better angle: :cool:

========

Attachments

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Looks a bit like a brick with wheels, Alfa can only pull off that look when the car is fantastic underneath.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yuk from me also. Looks like a mobile bathtub, but I am generally not a fan of ragtops. The Spider is a far better looking car IMO.

Would it have sold? Hmmm, tough one. The GT was a really good looking car, and like the 156 was really ahead of its contemporaries in style and looks when it was launched. This doesn't have the same visual impact IMO as the GT, but the success of the GT might have rubbed off on it. Do people generally buy more 4 seat or 2 seat ragtops? Would a 4 seater have done better than the 2 seat Spider from that perspective?

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
472 Posts
Looks good, but compare the looks to this..

The 946 spider looks more distinctive in comparison. Having said that, presumably a GT spider would have been a proper 4-seater rather than a 2 seat + parcel shelf :p
Ah the A4 cabriolet, possibly my most hated car. It reminds me of a 60 year old secretary dressing up as the 18 yr old office junior.

Oh and the GT looks ok. Just OK.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope do not like it at all. Saying that I've never really been a fan of soft tops either so I was likely not to think much to it

The 3.2 would have sounded very, very nice whilst driving it though

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Going back to what i said, it looks good but the Brera Spider looks better. Also the GT looks better hard top, needless to say though, it is pretty.

Salute, Giordano.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Yep been posted before. doesn't look bad but what is it with supersport alloys. The gashest alloy alfa make :vomit:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts