Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Probably, but it's an interesting challenge and a good excuse to totally strip a Busso, and the entire block cost less than a full set of gaskets so even if it never runs again I haven't lost much. Besides, I don't have any time constraints - the car it's going into hasn't even arrived yet :)
Totally understand what you are saying, as the owner of a Fiat Uno Turbo project that has not been on the road for 10 years, I do know the feeling of "just because you can and if I was sane, I would have chosen something else" ;-)

·
Registered
479 Posts
No way John?!? You just got the car and fixed it up nicely :/
Such a shame but hang in there and it’ll be better than ever.

A friendly advice after reading through too many of these rebuild threads is that the cam followers can get damaged when the belt snapped and can make a rebuild costly if they go bang after the engine has been rebuilt......

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
No way John?!? You just got the car and fixed it up nicely :/

Such a shame but hang in there and it’ll be better than ever.

A friendly advice after reading through too many of these rebuild threads is that the cam followers can get damaged when the belt snapped and can make a rebuild costly if they go bang after the engine has been rebuilt......

It seems that there is so little damage, that nothing but a few valves will need replacing, but I am of course replacing alot of other goodies.

Water pump seems to be needed as well...

I am also replacing climate compressor, power steering pump and alternator, as I have almost new ones from the old car.

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
That waterpump was a disaster waiting to happen!
Metal impeller on the new one?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Verdict is in: Only 1 damaged inlet valve, but we are putting in 12 new ones. And getting the heads skimmed, new valve guides, exhaust valves trimmed and ports cleaned/brushed..

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Will talk to him about it on monday.

Still waiting, but all good comes to those who wait, right?

I am ready to start assembling as soon as the heads are back. In the mean time I found a new alternator in my stock pile, that I forgot that I bought :)

Total cost of all parts and labour is now 2.000 euros, so I am quite happy that I can do all the manual work myself...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Great stuff :D

Did you have any problems ordering the new valves? A rather nice-looking 164 24v nearly got broken for spares on here a few months back because the garage couldn't get the valves from anywhere, but luckily it was rescued at the last minute.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Great stuff :D

Did you have any problems ordering the new valves? A rather nice-looking 164 24v nearly got broken for spares on here a few months back because the garage couldn't get the valves from anywhere, but luckily it was rescued at the last minute.

No problems, valves are available multiple places.

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
I think AROC parts have some?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Guess the early 24v may use different valves to the later 24v, but that's reassuring to know if I do grab a 24v to rebuild sometime :)

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Great work John

Reactions: John Sahl
21 - 40 of 75 Posts