He bought a new 500 in March and has
had nothing but problems.

Major coolant leak followed by major
oil leak followed by water pump failure
and engine destruction.

New engine fitted: Again with the coolant
leaks. :(

Sounds like seal/piping failures due to manufacturing
problems coupled with incompetent dealer mechanic(s).

He is not a happy chappy.

Oh, Fiat! Let's hope this is a freak one-off.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Am I the only person in the world who hates these cars? I think I might be:(

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Am I the only person in the world who hates these cars? I think I might be:(

Very very common. Not my cup of tea but preferable
to the swarms of Minis.

Thing is, these engines are going into Alfas pretty soon....

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
You saying I'm common?:p

I don't like the minis, either, or Ford Kas - anything that was intentionally designed to be 'cute', iykwim? Feels too manipulative. Not that my tastes have anything to do with your thread, of course;)

·
Registered
38,299 Posts
Hopefully they will have sorted the engine out by the time it goes in the Alfa's.

Maybe the 500 is the development vehicle. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
42 Posts
:eek: Don't tell me this before I head off on an adventure in my 500!*

Justgiving - The Italian Job 2008. Bambino to Torino

However, had it for five months and 3,600 miles and can report there have been no problems (touches wood!). Mind you it hasn't been on any special stages yet :D

The only fault is flaking paint on a wheel centre cap.

Oh and yes .. I do think it's cute and the only Minis I like are real ones

Jenny
X

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
God...i certainly hopeits a one off...got a 12hour journey coming up later today...photos on return:D
it managed a 9 hour trip in rain sodden traffic to Cornwall recently....so ill go along with the one of theory.
btw, the modern Panda was the test mule for the 500's engines and running gear, so as not to embarrass Fiat who spent squillions on the marketing....and that's been exemplary by Fiat standards. was at the dealer's last week for new mats and they hadnt any official bad news regarding the 500 unlike the Grande Punto, which does seem to be suffering some engine probs

·
Registered
807 Posts
which 500 engine we talking about, I now there was a problem with the 1300 diesel, which caused them stoping production for a while, but the 1200 is basically an enlarged fire engine which has been around for years, not sure about the 1400 16v

·
Registered
807 Posts
If I recall the problems with the dervs was specific to some bracket repostioning for the 500 on the water pump or something that differed from the installations for panda and the little van they do, this cause problems in earlier cars which may include ones built upto around March.

My Mate is on his second 1.3 diesel van as he does around 50,000 a year and loves the econmy and space it provides (he lays tennis courts all over UK)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Very very common. Not my cup of tea but preferable
to the swarms of Minis.

Thing is, these engines are going into Alfas pretty soon....
up in these frozen wastelands, the 500 is still relatively rare sight...i wondered if fiat were struglling with em, but they seem to be selling elsewhere??...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I think Fiat's usually are pretty reliable. It's not until it features in Alfa's that the problems start.

·
Registered
38,299 Posts
I think Fiat's usually are pretty reliable. It's not until it features in Alfa's that the problems start.
I have had many more problems with Fiats than I have with Alfa's, even though I have owned far less of them. :p

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The whole of Italy has 500's they seem to be fine in their mad heat. I'm sure they are on the up.There is loads of old Puntos, 146's etc etc out their and they seem to stand up to the heat etc

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
There is an issue with some 1.2 Fiat 500s. The thermostat seal breaks down and dumps coolant all over the place. One guy in the NIIMC is on his 5th thermostat. Fiat are aware and reckon there's about 100 or so cars affected in the UK and are trying to find out what is causing the problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts