Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was replacing my boot badge today (why is it plastic now instead of die cast metal?). Just putting the fiddly circlip back over the spring/plastic cap and lost the clip down the boot, of course.
Shut boot to try to shake back out, forgetting that I had disconnected wire link from key to release mechanism!!!! Boot well and truly locked with NO way of opening!!! :(
Had to drill out the captive bolts of plastic lock assembly.
Managed a temp fix with similar bolts in garage (wife always wonders why I keep boxs of odd bolts/nuts/washers)

Just to top it off the bonnet refused to release!! 30 mins of thread easer/release soaking and slicone eventually if released.

Off to dealers tomoz for some parts!

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
i'm paranoid when working on locks, i ALWAYS have the drivers window down if i have to do anything, even if its just with the engine running, in case i'm locked out

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
Was replacing my boot badge today (why is it plastic now instead of die cast metal?). Just putting the fiddly circlip back over the spring/plastic cap and lost the clip down the boot, of course.
Shut boot to try to shake back out, forgetting that I had disconnected wire link from key to release mechanism!!!! Boot well and truly locked with NO way of opening!!! :(
Had to drill out the captive bolts of plastic lock assembly.
Managed a temp fix with similar bolts in garage (wife always wonders why I keep boxs of odd bolts/nuts/washers)
:cheese:
Just to top it off the bonnet refused to release!! 30 mins of thread easer/release soaking and slicone eventually if released.

Off to dealers tomoz for some parts!
:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

i regularly have these condom moments too crispdust.

or is it condor moments ?
but in the end it usually works out.
happiness is a cigar called hamlet.
or even more happiness getting the 166 back on the road again.

glad to know i am not alone crispie.

Pomeo.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Order parts from dealer 3days til in stock. I go to German and Swedish for my Seat parts they have them the next day. What are dealers on for chris sake!?
£101 for:
New plastic body, not sure if it inlcudes lock, clips, bolts, and a front bonnet chrome surround. Mine collapsed when I removed to get old faded enamel bdge off

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello there!

Why didn't you use the ignition key to open the boot lid lock?
Had similiar problem but in my case I had disconnected battery cables...:mad:
As to the circlip I have lost two of them in the boot lid already so gave up trying:lol:

Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
forgetting that I had disconnected wire link from key to release mechanism!!!! Boot well and truly locked with NO way of opening!!! :(
!
Hello there!

Why didn't you use the ignition key to open the boot lid lock?
As to the circlip I have lost two of them in the boot lid already so gave up trying:lol:

Good luck with yours!
:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:
the clue was in the post jurico....the wire i think means metal link...never had to go there yet ...i think the faded badges adds to the charachter...

circlips...cunning littel creatures aren't they

Good luck with yours!

bet you wont do that again.:cheese:

bet you do...ive done it at least 5 times before i biught a new car battery.:eek: :D

Pomeo

forgetting !

happenning to me way too often now to crispie.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK parts arrived within 24 hours - good stealer for once (see thread with colours too)
Chrome bonnet frame and the boot lock both had brand new badges attached too! So I've now got spares that I bought on Fleabay. The boot lock assembly was only £2 more than just the badge off of fleabay so think on when you change the bootbadge! And the front badge was near impossible to remove from chrome surround on old one without damaging it. Has anyone else replaced front badge without problems.
Bella has just done a 500 mile round trip to Suffolk fully loaded (4 and luggage) areraged 58mph, mostly 80 on mway dual cway. 28mpg and didn't miss a beat. 166 is one of the best cruisers I've driven.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
:cheese:

I can just imagine your face when you found you couldnt open the boot.....The joys of alfa, you have to love em!

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
:( Lip biting moment !! :cry:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the slightly worrying thing is that i drilled the captive bolts out in literally 2 mins with nothing more than 12V hand drill. Very secure, not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts