Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been away from 10 days or so with family.

Went in the family car not the 166

came back unloaded and went to bed. Next day walkout to 166 and think that's a bit strange.

Some person (read into that what you like) has taken my front and back number plates!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I am wondering what the process is here, do I report this and get em replaced or just get em replaced?

Mind you am thinking of selling anyway so if anyone wants the lady let me know

A

·
0 Posts
you could get speed camera tickets , they could be put on a stolen car and/or used in a crime .
report at once.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
+2!!!

Looks like someone has stolen your car's identity. They'll probably be tanking past speed cameras with gay abandon even as I type, and you'll be getting the nasty letters!

It's a bit odd that they should nick plates off something as rare as a 166 though. Clearly, when they get spotted, it's going to be pretty obvious that the plates don't match the car's description on the DVLA's computer (inviting closer inspection from "plod"). Normally, the scrotes nick plates off something the same as they've got (e.g. a blue Mondeo) so as not to attract too much attention too soon. That's one of the drawbacks of relying on "automated enforcement" too heavily. If the car goes past one of the (increasing) number of automatic number plate recognition cameras on our road network, the computer will be happy that the car is registered, taxed and insured. Unfortunately, it won't know that it doesn't look much like a 166!

Report it to the local Plod, report to your insurers, and then go along to your nearest motor factor and get another pair made up. They should ask to the registration document and maybe some proof of identity before making a new set up for you.

·
Registered
658 Posts
In Australia you need to report to police, not on the emergency number of course, then they will give an event number which you could use for reference or insurance payouts.

You will also need to report to the Roads and Traffic depot in ur country to get new plates.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Oh may i also note, that reference number they will give you will help to prove speed cameras are not ur fault and you can use it in court.

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Oh may i also note, that reference number they will give you will help to prove speed cameras are not ur fault and you can use it in court.
OR Zoom though speed zones wie a false face on and use the ref in court too.;):D

BUT
The bigger picture...for a tank of fuel...probably a young fug bought cheap 166 thro auction and when went for a quote for insurance thought stuff that....then sees your car identical in all respect..takes no. plates and drives carefully and never gets pulled or ticketed.

You could also apply for a duplicate tax disc and sell the original to him:cheese:

BOGOF...But One Get One Free.

remember you never got this from me.:tut:First thought of 30 years ago but honesty prohibited testing.

Pomeo

Thats the thing about these new sorn regs for insurance....only catches the honest people.

Does DVLA still have no current keeper.

Strange one the no plate theft tho. not new either but in one of my cases the thugs bought new ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts