Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Oh man, when I was a kid all the other kids had them and I never did. All I ever wanted was a super sabre. Now I could have an Alfa! Gonna save up for that...

·
Administrator
45,546 Posts
I was obsessed with RC cars as a kid, and finally managed to save up for one myself when I first got a paying job in a summer - which I think must have been the year between school and sixth form.

I got something which I'm sure was called a stadium truck - but I can't find it now, looking through reference material for old tamiya models. It was similar in style to this: Tamiya Stadium Blitzer (2011) 58482

After owning it for a while, I converted it into a Volvo 850R touring car. In hindsight though, it was much more fun to use as an off road vehicle, as you could find more variety of things to do with it. Maybe would have been even better RWD instead of 4WD though, to try some drifting! As the 850, it was FWD.

Every now and again, I'm tempted to buy a new one as building it was very interesting. Worry that I just wouldn't get the use out of it once built though. Also, don't know if the new versions are as involved to build. Are they more 'modular' and less complex?

·
Administrator
45,546 Posts
Actually, from the look, I now think this is the one:
101 Vintage Tamiya r/c models for the radio controlled car collector

But there's some definite differences. The one I had was definitely 4WD, as I remember the driveshaft between the front and rear diffs. It also had the same wheels front and back, and I'm not sure the chassis stance was so much wider than the body. Since I bought it in approximately 1996, and that says it was released in 1990, I guess there may have been revisions. Or the shop might have sold me a 'custom'. I'm going to look for a picture of the box for that one now, that should make me certain.

·
Administrator
45,546 Posts
. Also, don't know if the new versions are as involved to build. Are they more 'modular' and less complex?
I applaud that they seem to have moved to electric instead of mechanical speed controllers though. That speed controller was the bane of my RC usage - constantly melting the solder connections to itself (probably because I used it in wet weather to be fair).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts