Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished bleeding the repaired brake calliper and topping up the reservoir on the my Alfetta , when to my horror I see water sitting around the spark plugs. Hoovered it away and it just got worse as a piece of cast aluminium goes up the pipe. OMG!
I am feeling like a complete fool as I didn't check for antifreeze in the car when it came in from South Africa and it looks like there wasn't any in.
Any advice appreciated, now looking for a the piece where the spark plugs go into. I've never taken an engine apart before, think now is the time.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Rich

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Have you got water in the oil, or oil in the water, or water on top of the piston crowns?

not quite sure what has happened from the description. A piece of cast aluminium from the head sucked up the hoover is odd....Sure, a head can crack, but if the water froze solid my thinking is it would crack the block as tht is where the main water sits.

When you say water sitting around the plugs, you mean around all 4 plugs, or just one or two?
got a photo of "the piece where the spark plugs go into", that you are looking for?

Water collecting around one of the spark plug wells, can just be coming up the studs (the studs are in the water jacket), this can happen with just very loose head bolts, for instance.

a couple of photos to illustrate what you believe has happened would be helpful in this case.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,250 Posts
That casting is thinner than I ever imagined it might be.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Yes that looks very thin, never heard of that before but it's definitely terminal. Don't be too hard on yourself either as I'd be surprised if frozen water was the culprit.

It's not all bad though, there are usually a couple on eBay and swapping them over are pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Bummer Rich!, that's beyond Barrs Leaks....... you'll need a new head, or it might be possible to get an expert to weld it? - its blown on one of the waterways between the plugs, usually its the block that suffer, that's what core plugs are for but I don't think the nord has core plugs?, anyhoo give me a shout if you want a hand to swap over, it'll be a learning process for both of us.

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
Alfaholics usually have several used Nord engines in stock and it might be worthwhile phoning them to see if they have a cylinder head for yours.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions

I'll 'phone around this afternoon and see what the costs look like. Martin, yes I would love to take you up on that offer!
Rich

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
if you buy a used head, check the height of the head, and check for warpage (flatness tolerance)

for 2.0
112 mm is factory new.
111,5 mm is min. mentioned by alfa
flatness on tolerance of head surface (block side) is 0,05 mm

·
Registered
175 Posts
Holy crap!! What on earth could have caused that? I had a '79 2.0 GTV that I raced for 10 years in progressively modified form and I never experienced anything like that hole. Any thoughts other than frozen coolant?

Reactions: Dickymint99

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I'll 'phone around this afternoon and see what the costs look like. Martin, yes I would love to take you up on that offer!
Rich
Get the H2's together then Rich, I've not done anything with a timing chain before just old british pushrods .....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm still digesting this **** sandwich, so am considering all options such as putting in a second hand engine. thanks for all of the advice.
Rich

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
It's a bummer Rich but it's easily fixable and shouldn't cost too much.
An unknown second hand engine will be at least £500 and then you've got the much bigger job of the engine swap. Anything with good history or guaranteed would be at least double that right up to very silly money for a rebuilt one. Heads pop up quite regularly on eBay, there's a 1750 at the moment for £50!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rom...474693?hash=item362c4cf405:g:Ww8AAOSw1Glai0uW

I had my head skimmed and valves reseated for £200 and then you'll need a £50 gasket set. As for the work it will be a very satisfying day for Martin and yourself.

Mine wouldn't shift at all so I had to buy the head puller tool which you're more than welcome to borrow.

·
Registered
36 Posts
never having pulled the head on either of my alfa's I am no expert but I have always been worried about popping one of the cylinder o rings and have factored in (mentally) having to replace the o rings on the liners as well, especially if the head needs brute force to remove it. Comments / experience / top tips?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
liners ought to be fine.
Once head is off, first thing you do is clamp the liners down so that in case you misadvertantly turn the crank, they don't move.

you can make something yourself: 2 washers, 2 tubes cut the right length that go over the studs and 2 headstuds to hold them down....something like in photo:

some even use 4 hold downs.
ideally, washers should be just big enough to hold liner edge, but not so big as to infringe into the bore (just in case you need to turn crank for some reason)

Attachments

·
AO COTY Winner 2018
153 Posts
Keep with ur engine, it’s known.

It’s not that bad, it’s only a head. You should be able to pick up another head for £250-400 depending on condition.
Would advise you have that skimmed anyway.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1.8 head - 2.0 block?

Hi there
Excuse my ignorance but is it possible to use a 1750 head? I saw heads advertised for TS engines and the seller said they would fit the 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0?
Thanks
Richard

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Just reading on alfabb and apparently the valves are smaller on the 1750 which isnt too much of a problem but the bore centres are different as well so will be misaligned. Even if it could be machined to fit it sounds like you'd be better finding a 2000 to start with.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
not worth thinking about a 1750 for a 2,0 block.

this guy on german ebay doesn't really know what he has, but markings are 2 litre looking at photo.
OK, its a core but cheap starting price at 100 euros, 7 days to go & he does specify posting to europe, but it states you have to contact him to find out costs.....

....you guys still in europe, right;)

worth asking him a) postage costs and b) if he could measure the height of the head (at the front where the chain runs)
I cannot see the cam journal tops, which is a shame, these should really be kept together with the head (but ask him, he might have them..)

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Zylinderkop...sh=item1a4788a3de:g:dTYAAOSwiqFakcko#shpCntId

you could sell on the cam cover and the "L" shaped cam breather to get back some lolly:)

if you need help asking questions, let me know
Dom

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I'd try and find a skilled aluminium welder local to you and see what they think. I've had heads welded before it's common enough but usually in thicker areas. This water jacket area looks a bit thin in the pics, but maybe ok.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts