Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

I have a 159 2.0Jtdm with 120000miles that I love but circumstances changed and now I have to travel just 3miles to work.
The engine doesn’t reach operating temperature as this drive is only 7 minutes.
The bad thing is that the car is regenerating every 4 days and not only it can be really annoying but also worrying because we all know what a big number of regenerations can cause… Crankcase dilution, premature wear in the piston rings etch.
Are there any ways of stopping all these regens and allowing just 1 every month lets say?

Regards,

Angelos

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Often regenerations

Could a mod change the spelling mistake on the title please?
It is embarrassing :disappointed:

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I don’t think it is possible as the regenerations are governed by the DPF clogging,if it didn’t need to regenerate then it wouldn’t unless you have other problems like blockage in differential pipes or dodgy sensor.
The way I see it the short journeys are causing it and possibly it never completes a Regen hence the frequent ones??

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe you are right, but is there a cure for that? I really don't want to change the car for that as it is in the spec and colour that I like. Is it an easy job to remove it and clean it thoroughly and then see if I will get less regenerations?

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
7,293 Posts
Not arguing with the previous posters....but blockage is probably not the reason you keep getting regens...although it will be blocked. That's sounds weird...I will try to explain. The car regens when the DPF reaches a certain level of blockage...which you must have reached. However you say that you journey is 7 minutes. So even if you started you trip with a hot engine 7 minutes is not enough to complete a regen....at takes pretty much exactly 10 minutes. If you don't fully complete a regen then it will try again as soon as its warm. So with your short trip it probably only gets warm enough to regen in the last miles or so....leaving next to no time to regen….and starting one again and again. You need to take the car for a good hot thrash....say 20 mins at 3000 revs to regen and clear the dpf….then you should be good. Its still going to regen often but it should be every 100 miles or so with your usage....not every 12!!

I have the same car (ish) in the same colour (59 plate 142,000miles....hence why I drive a diesel!!!).....but I would not have a derv if I was doing 3 mile trips. Wrong tool for the job Im afraid.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Maybe you are right, but is there a cure for that? I really don't want to change the car for that as it is in the spec and colour that I like. Is it an easy job to remove it and clean it thoroughly and then see if I will get less regenerations?
Rather than removing it to clean as above give it a good thrash to fully regenerate,and doing the journeys you do a weekly thrash is gonna help keep things clear.

My mrs only does relatively short journeys in our 1.9,but I give it a hammering to Birmingham every couple weeks and it’s been ok so far. Last time I checked clogging was down to 22%

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is very interesting! What do you mean that you have checked clogging?

·
Registered
83 Posts
At 3 miles per journey on a 120000 mile DPF that level of regen is inevitable, as I see it you have two choices, change it for a petrol or have the DPF removed and deleted,

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Often regenerations

Thank you all for the replies. Any links for the multiscan would be more than welcome but I am also going to search in the forum.

In the weekends I use the car for some longer distances… Something like 10-15 miles. I keep the revs high and it completes a regeneration cycle. But always in Wednesday or the latest Thursday it will start regenerating again. Only after let’s say 24 miles.
I wouldn’t like to remove the dpf in fear of the mot but your point is fair. Maybe if it is something that I could do myself? But the location of it in the 2.0 Jtdm engine is a little bit awkward.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
DPF may be permanently part blocked at 120,000, or have a slight internal collapse. You could try a cleaner on it, or remove and reverse flush to see what gunk clears. Also try a forced regen with MES, or take to a Indie for them to perform one for you, to see if that helps. Otherwise, you may need a new DPF.
I've got a 2.4, and my mileage has dropped considerably since I decided on a life of leisure, just replaced my DPF to get through MOT emissions.....before, and now, it still regens every Saturday afternoon after shopping, on the exact same stretch of road, just before I'm home......I believe its the car just not wanting to drive home yet lol

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Get yourself a modified elm lead and download MES software have a look at clogging level.
Give the car a good long blast on motorway in a lower gear so revs 3-3.5k for a good half hour. Then recheck the clogging.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Or download one of the many free apps that monitor clogging. Ive got one on my phone I use with a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter. Very useful for the times you just want to check the DPF without anything else. I recommend "DPF monitor" on android.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Take the car on holiday, do a 200 mile thrash in it. Out 159 2.4 is transformed by a 1200 mile beasting down to the south of france....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Often regenerations

I am going to check the clog percentage tonight!
Is the multiecuscan going to allow me to prevent regens?
Is removing the dpf on the 2.0Jtdm a DIY process??

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
You can't use it to stop regens (afaik anyway)....easy enough to remove the dpf for cleaning though.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Only way to prevent regens is mapping out but you only do this if DPF has been removed.
You can clean DPF by removing and physically cleaning out with chemicals/jet wash etc but it will only be a temp fix given the journeys you make.
The exhaust needs heat on a long run to clean out,if this is not possible you will always be having DPF issues.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yesterday I tried to connect to the obd2 using my elm327 Bluetooth adaptor but no luck.
Although I can connect successfully to my wife’s golf. 
So I still don’t know the percentage of blockage of the dpf.
I really should buy a multiecuscan.
Is there a guide on how to remove the dpf on the 2.0jtdm? It seems that it is between the engine and the radiator. Do you know where and if I can find a used one so as to experiment a little bit?

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
When you look at the dpf it's pretty obvious how to remove it. Couple of pressure and temp sensors to remove, O2 sensor on the top and clamp to the turbo, two bolts to the exhaust front pipe and about four (?) mounting bolts.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you very much for the replies.
Could you propose a cleaning chemical for the dpf?
Do you think that blanking the egr would help?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts