Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 156 offset is ET 35?

If my alloys are ET 42 - What size spacer would I need?

I believe the lower the ET number the wider out?

Help - alloys doing my head in now!!!!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
42 to 35 is typical offset for alfa.

my alloys are 41mm offset + i have 15mm spacers fitted so effectively the offset is 26mm

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
42 is standard, 35 is typical of spurious alloys but wil be ok

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
remember that offset is only one contributing factor towards how far in/out the wheel sits. the wheel WIDTH is the other important factor, which has not been mentioned.

you don't need a spacer. in fact, it will alter handling and how the forces are transmitted through the wheel bearings and suspension. not necessarily bad, or good for that matter. it may also affect your insurance, so check with them first if they are 'allowed'.

an original alfa wheel, like a 15x7", will have an offset of +42mm. that is normal. there is no need for a spacer unless you want to alter the 'looks' and handling of the car.

:)

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
remember that offset is only one contributing factor towards how far in/out the wheel sits. the wheel WIDTH is the other important factor, which has not been mentioned.

you don't need a spacer. in fact, it will alter handling and how the forces are transmitted through the wheel bearings and suspension. not necessarily bad, or good for that matter. it may also affect your insurance, so check with them first if they are 'allowed'.

an original alfa wheel, like a 15x7", will have an offset of +42mm. that is normal. there is no need for a spacer unless you want to alter the 'looks' and handling of the car.

Something else now.........
For an Alfa 156(mk2) & 17*7 ET35 wheels,what size spacers you need to fit the GTA brembo brakes?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
It should be stamped on the inside of the wheel....normally on the 'spokes' - what wheels do you have?

The GTA Brembos are very wide and you may need anything from 10mm to 18mm spacers depending on the wheel design. GTA wheels obviously fit without spacers and when you look at those wheels you can easily see that the spokes stick out a lot and therefore giving more clearance on the inside for the Brembo calipers

The offset is simply the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel - the width of the wheel does not effect this so an 8" wide wheel with offset 40mm will have the tyre in the exact same position as a 6.5" wide wheel with offset 40mm. Of course the actual rim of the wheel will have more rim further out and further inside with a wider wheel but the tyre will be in the same place only stretched more

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
It should be stamped on the inside of the wheel....normally on the 'spokes' - what wheels do you have?

The GTA Brembos are very wide and you may need anything from 10mm to 18mm spacers depending on the wheel design. GTA wheels obviously fit without spacers and when you look at those wheels you can easily see that the spokes stick out a lot and therefore giving more clearance on the inside for the Brembo calipers

The offset is simply the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel - the width of the wheel does not effect this so an 8" wide wheel with offset 40mm will have the tyre in the exact same position as a 6.5" wide wheel with offset 40mm. Of course the actual rim of the wheel will have more rim further out and further inside with a wider wheel but the tyre will be in the same place only stretched more
I have the multi-spoke(16 spokes)wheels.
When i last checked,i couldn't trace the ET number.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Most of the Alfa 7x17" are 40.5mm offset and the 6.5x16" are 41mm offset.

The GTA 7.5x17" are 35mm offset

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
So,because diff between 40.5 & 35 is 5.5mm,the spacer thickness shouldn't be the same(5.5mm)?:confused:
To achieve what? to give clearance to fit GTA Brembos ?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
OK but the problem is the design of the wheel. The GTA wheels have the spokes curving outwards which gives clearance for the calipers, the normal Alfa wheels dont normally have this so you need bigger spacers to give the clearance. Also some Alfa wheels have more clearance than others

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
The offset is simply the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel - the width of the wheel does not effect this

Of course the actual rim of the wheel will have more rim further out and further inside with a wider wheel but the tyre will be in the same place only stretched more
yeah, that's what i was saying/meaning; in case you were disputing it. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This has helped - so my et 42 alloys will fit with no mods or alterations. Cool - just need some wobbly bolts and get them on!!

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
This has helped - so my et 42 alloys will fit with no mods or alterations. Cool - just need some wobbly bolts and get them on!!
As long as the centre-bore is correct....

It is usually simpler to just get the correct wheels!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts