Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always thought I'd be satisfied with my 150bhp but seem to remember seeing a few weeks ago that Vauxhaul were offering an official (i.e. fully warrantied) upgrade for the 150BHP CDTi Astra. As you can imagine my appetite was well & truly whetted when it dawned on my that the engine might be the same as my 147JTD 16v.

Is it the same motor and if so has anyone had any correspondence with Alfa re offering the same deal ?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Vauxhall give the 150 BHP Alfa engine 195bhp at the press of the sport button :cool: It's a warrantied VXR add on and cost c£600 :eek:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK - the cash is burning a hole in my pocket now. How many of us need to club together for Alfa to sit up and take notice.

And before you all say it I know I could probably get more power for less but the warranty is definitely worth something to me.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Why not just try the guys at Angel Tuning instead dude !! ;)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK - I'm starting to be persuaded now having trawled through all the Angel propaganda on these pages. Nobody seems to quote any figures (difficult I know) but presumably I'm looking somewhere in the 175-180BHP area from a 20k 2005 147JTDm.

Anyone (via PM if necessary) had any bad experiences of going the Angel route (either short or long term - I do 20k per year and intend keeping for another year).

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Only ever seen good things about them here dude !! :)

I'm gonna be using them once the new exhaust and air filter are aboard !! ;)

Have you had a butchers at their website BTW ??

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just looked at it in a different place and it answers my questions re power (+35bhp !!!)

Still interested in a balanced view (I'm a salesman by trade so know there's always a catch - if the only catch is £350 I'm happy but if it turns into clutch replacements, blown engines, arsey servicing dealers etc then I'll not be quite so happy).

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Mines a 136bhp 2.4 JTD up to 200bhp and 325lbft with a BMC CDA, Nige told me at the time the gearbox and engine are fine with it, I would probably need a new clutch, although though I might have needed one anyway (111K, still on original clutch) and he's right, I do!

Its been fine since he did it but on the Alfa NE run out it played up after about 15 minutes of constant racing-style driving in hilly conditions. Anyway the car is still driveable I just have to be careful pressing the fun pedal down too much, it judders. Nige did warn me beforehand, before it had a 175bhp map on again by Angel and no CDA, the car ran sweet with no clutch issues. I get my servicing done independantly anyway as I've had issues with main stealers in the past.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts