Alfa Romeo Forum banner

301 - 311 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
After booking my car (gtv v6) in for some work the dealers told me it was imported from germany. It surprised me a bit, was this normal for alfas back then or something? I have a german handbook and service book but the intsrument cluster on my car is in metric MPH.
My 1st Spider was an import from Germany - Full UK spec though! and the manual was German! It was new when I picked it up from the importers in London and I was the 1st Registered user (in fact I still am the only registered user!) - It was much cheaper - £22k against list price of £28k, although Main Dealers were discounting down to around £25.5 in 2001.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 1st Spider was an import from Germany - Full UK spec though! and the manual was German! It was new when I picked it up from the importers in London and I was the 1st Registered user (in fact I still am the only registered user!) - It was much cheaper - £22k against list price of £28k, although Main Dealers were discounting down to around £25.5 in 2001.
my GTV has a german company name on the numberplate mounts and has a german manual.. sounds like mine is in the same boat, so to speak. I've always wondered about it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It's a mystery so it is! You'd think importing these cars from Germany and converting them would make it more expensive ?! Would they have been manufactured in Germany?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
It's a mystery so it is! You'd think importing these cars from Germany and converting them would make it more expensive ?! Would they have been manufactured in Germany?

My wasn't covered, the German dealer ordered a RHD, UK spec car from Italy - because import tax in Germany was/is less than the UK, you get a new car cheaper

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
After booking my car (gtv v6) in for some work the dealers told me it was imported from germany. It surprised me a bit, was this normal for alfas back then or something? I have a german handbook and service book but the intsrument cluster on my car is in metric MPH.
Yes quite common, full uk spec, I've got 3(2 V6 GTVs+1 V6 Spider) at the moment, sold another V6 GTV two weeks ago & had a few others over the years. Zoe Yellow GTVs(only 4, 3 V6s + 1 TS) all were ordered via Germany as the UK dealers wouldn't supply a non UK spec colour.

Clive

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
my GTV has a german company name on the numberplate mounts and has a german manual.. sounds like mine is in the same boat, so to speak. I've always wondered about it.
If your number plate mounts look like the one in the picture then the chances are it was bought new in Germany by a British squaddie. I bought my GTV new in 2001. I ordered it from a dealer at JHQ Rheindalen (a big NATO HQ) and picked it up many months later from the actual garage in Erklenz. At the time, you got them tax free plus the Fiat group gave and extra forces discount so it worked out at about half price. At one point you could get a poor man's GTV (Fiat Coupe) for about £8000 with a favourable exchange rate and I have been told they sold more to British Forces Germany than to the whole UK. The cars were full UK spec and registered with BFG and had UK plates and tax. When you got posted back to the UK they had to be re-registered with DVLA. The manuals I got with mine were a mix of German and English.

15 years and 109000 miles later I've still got my GTV and it is as much fun to drive now as it was when I got it. As soon as the engine was run in I smashed 140mph on the autobahn. Happy days!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
If your number plate mounts look like the one in the picture then the chances are it was bought new in Germany by a British squaddie. I bought my GTV new in 2001. I ordered it from a dealer at JHQ Rheindalen (a big NATO HQ) and picked it up many months later from the actual garage in Erklenz. At the time, you got them tax free plus the Fiat group gave and extra forces discount so it worked out at about half price. At one point you could get a poor man's GTV (Fiat Coupe) for about £8000 with a favourable exchange rate and I have been told they sold more to British Forces Germany than to the whole UK. The cars were full UK spec and registered with BFG and had UK plates and tax. When you got posted back to the UK they had to be re-registered with DVLA. The manuals I got with mine were a mix of German and English.

15 years and 109000 miles later I've still got my GTV and it is as much fun to drive now as it was when I got it. As soon as the engine was run in I smashed 140mph on the autobahn. Happy days!

Mines also a German import by a forces bod. Full UK spec

·
Registered
216 Posts
I may be being a bit thick here, but it looks to me that the two pages don't tally.

My car is a (rather shabby) '97 TS in grey, one of 53 registered.
The second list seems to indicate that my car is one of 89 survivors?

I can only guess that some of the interpretations of grey have been rolled into the 'others' column in the list of registrations.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not sure if this is relevant to this thread but I recently bought R58HHP which, I am lead to believe, has been off the road (SORN'ed) for something in the region of 7 years. The condition of it, when I went to view it, would suggest this to be true!!

301 - 311 of 311 Posts