Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:lol::cry::cry:

soooo it seems like the Head has to come off to find out what exactly is wrong with my car, i have a 56 GT JTS and its misfiring badly, ive ruled out the coils and spark plugs as ive changed all 4 coils and all 4 spark plugs and even the battery was changed to an s5 battery

just got back from a family friends of a friends garage and seems like the only way to know for sure is to take the head off as it sounds like theres a problem with the valves or piston or what ever tut so p!ssed off as to even consider fixing it im looking at about £500 min

but my question is has anyone ever taken the head off themselves??

is it really a £500+ job really when a valve only cost like £10 or so wheres this extra 490 coming from ?? sure it cant cost that much just to take something apart if so my next job shall be as a mechanic lol

what are your thoughts

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
It's a big job if you've not done one before, you'll need a headgasket kit, complete with manifold gaskets and valve stem seals, cambelt and tensioner kit, probably with changing waterpump too. A set of head bolts, tools for removing the injectors, torque wrench for doing it all back up, and if you have to remove valves, a valve spring compressor.

Honestly, I have all the tools and experience to do such a job, but even I'd send it to the garage

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
It's a big job if you've not done one before, you'll need a headgasket kit, complete with manifold gaskets and valve stem seals, cambelt and tensioner kit, probably with changing waterpump too. A set of head bolts, tools for removing the injectors, torque wrench for doing it all back up, and if you have to remove valves, a valve spring compressor.

Probably a few other bits which I'm forgetting also

Honestly, I have all the tools and experience to do such a job, but even I'd send it to the garage

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Compression test?

Just a mfire idle?

Maf?

I had an aweful msfire once - turnee out to be one lose allen bolt on a intake chrome pipe.......just neede nipping up - think small first!

·
Vendor
46,827 Posts
Do a compression test, if it shows good even compression then its time to get the injectors tested. Have you looked at the state of the cam lobes yet too?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@amfalconer sounds like alot but good tool investments right ? and if i was to invest in those tools and look hard enough it will all probably come to about £150 or less, the power of the internet and just buy looking hard enough i could

and @a17esh, Compression Low on cylinder one, Misfire when starting and very rough idle , very low performance
had a test done with a fault code of p0301 which is misfire on cylinder one,

everyone ive spoken to

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
was told it could be a broken or chipped valve as there is hardly any compression
looks like i will have to get rid

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
If you're handy with the spanners, it's an ok job. No need for new head bolts but as said the costs do add up. 500 to fix it isn't too bad but first they need to know what's wrong with it!

Compression test is the first check for sure.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
You have no compression C1, good start. Was some oil poured into the problem cylinder and retested?

What I would do next is a cylinder leak test. You will need to setup C1 to Top dead centre on the compression stroke (a long screwdriver needed if you dont want to invest in a DTI guage). the tester will let you know if there is a leak by the gauge reading, and assuming there is you can start listening/looking for it by checking the throttle body/Exhaust/Coolant/Oil filler cap.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
As per these guys, there's plenty of tests you can do before you get the head off.

As per investment, yeah, I guess you could use the tools, but as for £150, probs not.

At a guess...

Torque wrench £18+ and you'll need a smaller one which can torque from 11nm up

Valve spring compressor £20-30
Timing tools £80 for cam locks and dti if required

Head gasket kit £50-100 depending on quality

Water punp £30-40

Timing belt kit £60
Rough costs, with some parts based on what I spent for my ts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts