Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking my sons to Italy on a road trip, planning THIS ROUTE on the way down :)

I'm looking to stop off near The Ring on the first night, any suggestions for basic accomodation ?

We will be camping near Portese on the west bank of Lake Garda, planning a day out in Venice along with several trips towards Venice/Monza etc etc

The road home will be a mystery but having just realised NAD is on the 5th July we will stop over near bye on the 4th before attending on the 5th enroute back home :D

P

·
0 Posts
You missed out the Dumfries stop on the way down :D You know, the one where I jump in the boot and stay really quiet until Calais :D

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,135 Posts
If you like waterfalls, a diversion to the Rhein Falls is well worth it - will add about 100 miles to your planned route (see below). It is effectively the source of the River Rhein, where the Bodensee (Lake Constance) pours out over Europe's version of Niagara - not as high maybe but equally impressive in terms of water volume. ;)

from:fk7 9ad to:dover to:calais to:adenau to:A2 to:47.696823,8.629761 to:porto portese - Google Maps
And, I believe, where Homes and Moriartie fell to their doom during a fight. :dead:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
The 2 stage cable car at lake Garda is worth a go, fantastic views at the top and the 2nd stage slowly rotates to give everyone a good look at the scenery. :thumbs:

·
Registered
59 Posts
:eek: will also be on the banks of Lake Garda in 5 weeks and also Camping near Portese - what campsite you on ?

Unfortunately I'm flying - would love to do a road trip but the girls would drive me mad :rolleyes:

I'm back on the 8th so missing NAD :rant:

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You missed out the Dumfries stop on the way down :D You know, the one where I jump in the boot and stay really quiet until Calais :D
You know you'd be more than welcome to jump in my boot anytime ;) but there will be a spare perfectly usable seat if you don't miind being spotted by border patrol :D

If you like waterfalls, a diversion to the Rhein Falls is well worth it - will add about 100 miles to your planned route (see below). It is effectively the source of the River Rhein, where the Bodensee (Lake Constance) pours out over Europe's version of Niagara - not as high maybe but equally impressive in terms of water volume. ;)

from:fk7 9ad to:dover to:calais to:adenau to:A2 to:47.696823,8.629761 to:porto portese - Google Maps
Not sure if I can spare the 100 miles but it looks impressive (you have me thinking :D) ... thanks

The 2 stage cable car at lake Garda is worth a go, fantastic views at the top and the 2nd stage slowly rotates to give everyone a good look at the scenery. :thumbs:
THis would seem a definate for me and my boys... noted & thanks

:eek: will also be on the banks of Lake Garda in 5 weeks and also Camping near Portese - what campsite you on ?

Unfortunately I'm flying - would love to do a road trip but the girls would drive me mad :rolleyes:

I'm back on the 8th so missing NAD :rant:
Camping Eden .... we will be attending NAD hehe you could come back with us and leave the girls to fend for themselves :D ... you know you want to ;)

Thanks for the tips folks much appreciated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm also going to Camping Eden and also with Canvas. 3rd time I'll have been on this site.

Thats a fine offer I'll run it by my wife :thumbs: On second thoughts may end up in casualty with a suggestion like that and miss SICD:lol:

Need to catch up for a chat when there. I'll be the short ginger one sometimes wearing an Alfa skip hat.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm also going to Camping Eden and also with Canvas. 3rd time I'll have been on this site.

Thats a fine offer I'll run it by my wife :thumbs: On second thoughts may end up in casualty with a suggestion like that and miss SICD:lol:

Need to catch up for a chat when there. I'll be the short ginger one sometimes wearing an Alfa skip hat.
Excellent... you have passed the interview and start your new job as my local guide on the 27th June :D

We are planning to be doing day trips to Venice/Milan & Monza whilst there, time is tight though as the trip is only 10 days and a few thousand miles :)

My mobile number is 07825240150 it will be contactable whilst on the continent :)

Oh I'll be at SICD too, maybe see you there :D

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Bob

Not long to go now, we will be hoping to arrive late on the 27th, stopping off near Adenau on the way through Germany on the friday night, early start on the Saturday to make it to Portese probably 8 - 9 pm on the Saturday.

Work has been crazy and this week coming up I'm sure will be madness as I attempt to get organised, hope to see you there at some point, feel free to give me a call anytime.

You wont miss my car in Portese... Black 525 d msport (M55 RWM).... should stick out like a sore thumb.

Rodger

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Bob

Not long to go now, we will be hoping to arrive late on the 27th, stopping off near Adenau on the way through Germany on the friday night, early start on the Saturday to make it to Portese probably 8 - 9 pm on the Saturday.

Work has been crazy and this week coming up I'm sure will be madness as I attempt to get organised, hope to see you there at some point, feel free to give me a call anytime.

You wont miss my car in Portese... Black 525 d msport (M55 RWM).... should stick out like a sore thumb.

Rodger
I'll keep an eye out for you Rodger.
I would imagine at that time on a Saturday I'll just be enjoying the view and some of the local grape juice so may even see you arrive :lol:

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Returned from Garda on Sunday evening, dropping in to NAD en route home.

We had a great time and I've already paid the deposit on next years break at the same location :D

Believe it or not Bob was but a stones throw away, nice guy :)

The cable car run was excellent but I have to say other than the wonderful views, my highlight was hiring a speedboat for the afternoon, buzzing around on the lake was incredible fun :D

NAD was good too as we bumped into Paintergirl & Fee... great turnout of some cracking cars old and new, I have to say hats off to auto lusso for their splendid BBQ :D

The only downside to the whole trip was at scotch corner, first rain i'd driven in over the 10 day break, crawling in a line of traffic behind an artic unit, I managed to rear end a ford focus doing around 20 mph .... damage yet to be assesed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Roger

Was good to meet you. A bit bizarre you ended up a few feet away :lol:

You didn't hang about arranging next years did you :wow: although can't blame you the area is stunning.

Glad to hear you got the speedboat sorted and is was enjoyable. :thumbs:

Hopefully see you at a meet in the future.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts