Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Giulietta 2.0 170 Veloce, 2013
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know for sure who makes dampers, springs and lower arms for the G? Mine is a 2.0 Veloce and I'm thinking of doing a suspension refresh on the front end. Am I right in thinking Veloce has a ride height between other models and QV so has its own spec if springs?

TIA

Ben

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think you might be better off going aftermarket.

Bilstein b4 ( I have them on my qv and big improvement over standard)

Springs. Lots of manufactures out there and I think the QV is 15mm lower than standard.

And Instead of doing a full lower arm. Polybush?
They are next on my list ?

I'm sure it would work out cheaper than OEM parts also

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers. I'll definitely fit B4's, had them on other cars and superb for the money. I really don't want to lower / stiffen the car too much, just come from a highly tweaked Punto T-JET and want comfort going forward so looking for OE Veloce springs at preferably less than OE cash.
S4P seem to have QV specific spring, any idea how much lower and stiffer these would be over standard Veloce set up?

I'm wanting full arms, saves messing about drilling rivets out for ball joint. Will poly bush ARB however. Autodoc / buycarparts have TRW at a decent price, any thoughts on TRW for suspension? I only know them for brakes.

Cheers

·
Registered
204 Posts
QV / Veloce is the same thing just the "facelift" rename a few years ago I think. Unless the veloces is the original before QV....it gets to confusing.

My current set up. QV on B4s
New tyres (18") and some extra sound deadening (foil stuff and closed cell foam on top) on the front arch liners and boot up to the front of the rear seats.

I have to say ride is very nice and quiet. Especially compared to my last 1.4 G which was two years newer.

I did TWR drop links all round and I did the shocks and they seem good and on autodoc and the likes nice and cheap too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, mines a 2013 2.0 JTDM 170 Veloce. By QV I mean 1750TBi which I thought maybe wrongly rides lowest of all models, the Veloce a bit higher, and everything else higher still.
Fair amount of road noise from the rear of mine but hopefully that'll subside when I get decent rubber on, that'll happen once the suspension is refreshed. 225/45/17's so at least they'll be fairly easy on the wallet.

Cheers

·
Registered
253 Posts
QV / Veloce is the same thing just the "facelift" rename a few years ago I think. Unless the veloces is the original before QV....it gets to confusing.

My current set up. QV on B4s
New tyres (18") and some extra sound deadening (foil stuff and closed cell foam on top) on the front arch liners and boot up to the front of the rear seats.

I have to say ride is very nice and quiet. Especially compared to my last 1.4 G which was two years newer.

I did TWR drop links all round and I did the shocks and they seem good and on autodoc and the likes nice and cheap too.
Hi there could you give me a little info on prices and where best to source your setup. Our QV is quite wallowy in the corners and I’d like to try and firm it up. Really don’t want to spoil the ride quality to much, just make it feel more on point!
which springs do you have on the b4’s or do they come complete with springs and shocks??
how did it change your car?

cheers,
Rich

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
The OE dampers are Sachs, or at least mine were.
Not sure on the arms, but when I replaced them 35,000 miles ago I used genuine, and the rubbers in the rear part of the wishbone are just starting to split again...

The B4 dampers are great in terms of value and performance, but the rust protection on them isn't the best. After a few months they start getting rust spots on the spring pan welds and at the base where it fits into the hub at the front.

I got my B4's from Demon Tweeks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Symon. What's your thoughts on springs? Am I right in thinking Veloce and Cloverleaf each have a specific spring?

The rear bushes in front arms look crap and designed to fail. For the Punto, some aftermarket arms have bushes like the original on the G and others have bushes that look like a powerflex. More of a solid bush, not seen pics of any looking like that for the G.

Last B4's I fitted were coated with Bilthamber UC along with the springs prior to fitting. They still looked new 20000 miles later.

Cheers

·
Registered
253 Posts
The OE dampers are Sachs, or at least mine were.
Not sure on the arms, but when I replaced them 35,000 miles ago I used genuine, and the rubbers in the rear part of the wishbone are just starting to split again...

The B4 dampers are great in terms of value and performance, but the rust protection on them isn't the best. After a few months they start getting rust spots on the spring pan welds and at the base where it fits into the hub at the front.

I got my B4's from Demon Tweeks.
Demon tweeks! That’s a blast from my past!
just priced up some b4’s front and rear, also including the eibach pro spring kit totalling £475-00 inc express delivery. Any thoughts on this spring choice? I do like the fact the whole package is painted black for oem appearances

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi there could you give me a little info on prices and where best to source your setup. Our QV is quite wallowy in the corners and I’d like to try and firm it up. Really don’t want to spoil the ride quality to much, just make it feel more on point!
which springs do you have on the b4’s or do they come complete with springs and shocks??
how did it change your car?

cheers,
Rich
I know the QV is 15mm lower than a standard G. Which included my last QV line. But I'm sure someone more in the know will answer that one.

For the B4s. eBay. "giulietta bilstien b4" there is a long list and if you have the part numbers ready from the official Bilstien website its a doddle. I paid just over £200 all in :)

Next on my list is polybush ARB bushes. as i want it a little bit less rolly but without firming up the ride to much.

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
Thanks Symon. What's your thoughts on springs? Am I right in thinking Veloce and Cloverleaf each have a specific spring?

The rear bushes in front arms look crap and designed to fail. For the Punto, some aftermarket arms have bushes like the original on the G and others have bushes that look like a powerflex. More of a solid bush, not seen pics of any looking like that for the G.

Last B4's I fitted were coated with Bilthamber UC along with the springs prior to fitting. They still looked new 20000 miles later.

Cheers

Judging by how high our Lusso is I would say that Lusso, Veloce and QV all have specific springs. You should get away with QV springs on a diesel as the front weights of both cars is pretty much the same, but the car would be lower.

I also had an Eibach Prokit set of springs on my car for a while in combination with the B4 dampers. It worked well other than the rear part of the undertray occasionally touching down (it never did any damage)

The Prokit made the cars height look how it should have done from the factory IMO, it didn't look lowered. I had to put the car back to standard as my better half now uses it as her main car and she wanted it standard because of the insurance.

The problem with the rear bushesat the front is that they are designed to twist as he suspension moves. You might find that a stiffer poly bush would split just as easily or even pop out of position.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers Symon. I'll probably go TRW for arms & drop links B4 for shocks, Tedgum poly bushes for ARB and either S4P Veloce or cloverleaf springs.

What sort of age / mileage do the rear bushes start to die? Not had a good look at the back end yet. May just do the whole lot over a weekend.

Cheers

·
Registered
204 Posts
Let us know how you get on.

A "through spanner" and a double d socket are a must for the rear shocks btw. Almost impossible without.

My rears look perfect
Front is the rear bush but I just soak it in silicone for the moment

17k on a 15 plate QV

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
Cheers Symon. I'll probably go TRW for arms & drop links B4 for shocks, Tedgum poly bushes for ARB and either S4P Veloce or cloverleaf springs.

What sort of age / mileage do the rear bushes start to die? Not had a good look at the back end yet. May just do the whole lot over a weekend.

Cheers

The rear bushes on ours are mostly original, the car is 9 years old and has done 105,000 miles now. The car did have one suspension arm replaced on the driver side due to the car getting run into.

There has been no mention of wear on them during MOT's etc, so they seem pretty hard wearing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
TRW arms look identical to OEM in the pictures I have seen, comparing welds and stamped metal parts. All others seem to be different especially around the front bushing.

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
One other thing I will say is that the Genuine Alfa ones were cheaper from Shop4parts than TRW ones were from elsewhere when i bought them. Despite them probably being the same.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts