Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tonight whilst driving VERY slowly through Newcastle. I checked the oil yesterday and it was fine (up to the second dot on the dip stick) and double checked this morning.

I can only think it flashed up due to travelling around 25 miles under 35mph due to severe driving conditions between destinations.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
did the revs drop VERY low?
(ie close to stalling)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did the revs drop VERY low?
(ie close to stalling)
Well I actually DID stall but that was because I had to brake really quickly due to a 4x4 haring round a corner and almost into the Alfa. Just as I threw the brakes on the warning flashed up.

Car started up ok and drove with no other warnings since then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I actually DID stall but that was because I had to brake really quickly due to a 4x4 haring round a corner and almost into the Alfa. Just as I threw the brakes on the warning flashed up.

Car started up ok and drove with no other warnings since then.
My 147 does this when it stalls - pooped myself the first time - I have just picked it up after a minor rebuild :cry:

Restarted and all was well - another Alfa oddity :thumbs:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had the same in my GT when driving through snow on xmas day. I was ultra paranoid, checked everything as low ground clearance is a real pain in the snow. I thought that a hidden object in the snow might have hurt the sump. Everything checked out fine and I've had no further warnings. I've cautiously chalked the warning up to the very cold weather.

EDIT: looking at the above posts, I think we have a common factor. In icy conditions I always drive *very* low revs and never pull away in first.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Once last month or the month before, I got back into my car at Tesco carpark, put the key in and it said engine oil was completely empty! I poo'd myself as I only had the oil and filter changed the day before, I checked the actual dipstick itself knowing it wasn't going to be a clear indication as I had been driving it lots before Tesco and it looked as if there was oil on it, so I bit my tongue and drove it back, seems as if it was just an Alfa bug as it's been fine ever since!

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you stall, you always get a "Low oil pressure warning"...it's standard.

The other situation I have had it is under hard braking or going over a hump back bridge or taking a tight corner quickly..I guess any situation which gets the oil sloshing around a bit.

Don't panic...I've had this happen on two alfas and it never seems to have done any harm provided you top up, but it normally indicates you are running a bit low on oil. Top up ASAP.

Frankly I find the oil dipstick completely useless on the alfa (I can put it in twice and read anything between "empty" and "full", and this intermittent oil warning light is usually the best indicator...when I see it..I add half to one litre of oil, and it goes away.

Probably not the best way of going about things, but the oil dipstick is a complete waist of time in my view.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts