Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GT JTS 2007 it has developed an odd sound, only when the clutch is down.

It´s a high pitched sound, almost like a sough, a little fluctuating. Disapears when I release the clutch. After 10 blocks and 4 traffic lights, the sound is gone.

I recognize the sound of a worn fan belt (correct english...?) and that´s not the sound I hear. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Mine does the same, only when the engine is cold. Gone after a little while. I have put it down to the release bearing. my clutch took a bit of a hammering when i got stuck in a very soft, deep snowdrift a few weeks back.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
mmm yeah i'd say its your release bearing on the way out.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
out of interest. What would happen if i left this unfixed for a while? Will my clutch suddenly fail on me or will it gradually get worse for a few months? If it can wait untill april then i might be able to keep this car.

·
Registered
581 Posts
To change release bearing I think you'll effectively need to change the clutch. Might be ok to drive for a while longer, I have driven a car with a noisy release bearing for quite a while.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Thanks. I wonder, how hard would it be to replace the clutch DIY? since i have to drop the subframe to replace the ARB anyway....

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My garage thought it sounded strange that the sound disappears after just a couple of 100 meters of driving. He said that generally it grows worse, but may disapear when the car is fully hot. He suggests that it´s the grease around the bearing that gets hard in the ice cold weather, and advices me to wait until the weather gets warmer.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn. You think the car gets warm enough in 300 meters? It only has 40 000 km on the clock, and I dare say I drive it very carefully (clutch wise)...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I´ll have to trust the garage guy for now. It´s not a matter of meters, it´s the amount of times I push down the clutch. If I pump it up and down 10 times at standstill, the noise disappears.

I might be back, though...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts