Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the wiper blades on my 147 about a month ago but today was the first time I've used the car 'in anger' in the rain at motorway speeds since then.

The wipers operate perfectly fine, but at higher speeds (60mph+) th3 driver's side wiper blade makes a loud 'click' noise when it changes direction at the top of its travel.

Doesn't happen at lower speeds (50mph etc) and only seems to happen at higher speeds - even then it's not every single sweep of the blades and varies in intensity. Had a look at the blade and it is firmly attached and the blade itself swivels freely on it's mount. It's hard to investigate further because it only happens at high speed - as far as I can tell it is the blade itself rather than the motor/linkage assembly

Any ideas what might be causing this? More a niggle than a major problem but with the potential to drive me mad if I need to do a long trip in bad weather!!

The new blades were just bog standard ones out of halfords.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just buy some better blades. if you think thats the problem.?
That's about the only thing I can try - will get some bosch ones and see if that makes a difference. (was going to get the more expensive ones anyway, then changes my mind at the last minute :rolleyes: )

It's more the infuriation of not being able to work out what's causing it!

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
First, click the wiper arms in the position off, away from the screen and try it then to see if the noise is there still...if it IS, it not the blades!
If it is the blades and the click is just the wiper blade flipping left to right on the arm on the screen, twist the arm carefully with a pair of pliers and a cloth, and try by trial and error. sometimes works!
Otherwise maybe sounds like the linkage, maybe a nut coming loose. dont know how easy it is to get at the wiper linkage on your car. On my spider it is easy enough. Check for a loose nut, tighten and while you are there spray the linkage bearings with grease whilst the wiper motor is operating.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update,

Just went and bought a new expensive Bosch blade. Just as I had fitted it the rain began again so took it for a quick hoon up the A3 to test.

Seems to be ok now, although the rain was a lot lighter than this morning, so will have to reserve judgement until I can try it out in a proper downpour.

The new one seems a lot more solid, with less play in the various joints etc. Let's hope that Jerry builds better wiper blades then MAFs :)

It must be my Bella's way of telling me not to stick cheap halfords own brand tat on her

·
Registered
941 Posts
:lol:
Update,

Just went and bought a new expensive Bosch blade. Just as I had fitted it the rain began again so took it for a quick hoon up the A3 to test.

Seems to be ok now, although the rain was a lot lighter than this morning, so will have to reserve judgement until I can try it out in a proper downpour.

The new one seems a lot more solid, with less play in the various joints etc. Let's hope that Jerry builds better wiper blades then MAFs :)

It must be my Bella's way of telling me not to stick cheap halfords own brand tat on her

Try sitting on the bonet and get a friend to drive at high speed then you can hear and see what the problem is from a much better position.:lol:

Hat...coat?!:lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts