Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

Had some new tyres fitted to the front of my car 3weeks ago, and had the worn fronts fitted to the back (goodyear f1s with about 3mm on them).

Literally since I colected it I now get a noise from the passenger side rear when going over speed bumps / pot holes.

Thought it might just be a worn bush and had the rear end powerflexed yesterday (cheers AutoLusso) but the noise is still there. It kind of sounds like the boot is being slammed.

If the NSR wheel hadn't been refitted properly surely there would be a constant vibration or something?

Thoughts anyone?

All the best
Matt

·
Registered
464 Posts
If the back has been powerflexed, I'd have thought they'd taken the wheels off to do it (did with mine) and it would be unlucky to have two different sets of people not putting the bolts back on properly. Considering the noise, please dont take offence, but its not the jack/wheel look kit or anything loose in the boot is it?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the back has been powerflexed, I'd have thought they'd taken the wheels off to do it (did with mine) and it would be unlucky to have two different sets of people not putting the bolts back on properly. Considering the noise, please dont take offence, but its not the jack/wheel look kit or anything loose in the boot is it?
Good point re the wheels being removed and refitted for the powerflexing - I wasn't sure if they did come off as part of the refurb.

No offence taken at all mate, I hoped it was something as simply as that, but I don't have anything in my boot except the spare and a sub. (now thinking its worth taking the sub out)

Cheers
MC

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine does this and has done for a while. It sounds like someone is giving something on the rear a good tap with a hammer over bumps and dips in the road - even very small ones...
Any other thoughts would be welcome,
Cheers

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Mine does this and has done for a while. It sounds like someone is giving something on the rear a good tap with a hammer over bumps and dips in the road - even very small ones...
Cheers
Bad shocks maybe? loosen one of the ends of the shock absorber and try to pull
the shock throughout its length and then compress it as much as possible, it should provide an even resistance throughout the strokes, both when it expands
and compresses otherwise there are something wrong with it.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
That turned out to be the exhaust on mine :)
Cheers
Another vote for exhaust. It may be hitting the underside of the floor. There are usually rubber bumpers on the underside (above the exhaust) of heat shields etc. When the box was replaced, it's possible one or more was dislodged. Or, in a related vein, someone noticed a missing/broken hanger, replaced it, and now exhaust sits higher and, coupled with the aforementioned hypothetically missing bumper, is hitting the underbody... My neighbour's car had exhaust bits replaced recently, and apparently the sections didn't quite align, and the pipework is just that little bit skewed... and it does exactly as you describe.

It's worth a look!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts