Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after nearly two years of largely fault free motoring (barring one suspension part/wheel bearing replacement) I'm about to put the old girl in for it's clutch/DMF/clutch slave cylinder but an odd plasticy clicking/clickity noise has reared its head from under the battery/passenger side of the engine (a 1.9jtdm). The noise itself isn't overly regular in nature (more - clickity, clickity... clickity... clickity, clickity... than clickity, clickity, clickity).

I'm not as up to speed on this engine as the 1.8vvc in my old Rover 200 Coupe (eleven years, a head gasket replacement and a head rebuild, this a couple of years ago, quickly gets you familiar with something doesn't it? :D )

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well after nearly two years of largely fault free motoring (barring one suspension part/wheel bearing replacement) I'm about to put the old girl in for it's clutch/DMF/clutch slave cylinder but an odd plasticy clicking/clickity noise has reared its head from under the battery/passenger side of the engine (a 1.9jtdm). The noise itself isn't overly regular in nature (more - clickity, clickity... clickity... clickity, clickity... than clickity, clickity, clickity).

I'm not as up to speed on this engine as the 1.8vvc in my old Rover 200 Coupe (eleven years, a head gasket replacement and a head rebuild, this a couple of years ago, quickly gets you familiar with something doesn't it? :D )
Do you get vibration/lurch on start up?Does the noise disappear when you depress the clutch pedal?
A shuffling/scratchy kind of noise?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, there's none of that surprisingly enough, she sits at tick over fine with no hiccups or variance in engine revs (in neutral) and no noticeable vibration, it's just a noise that sounds like a bit of rigid plastic being flicked at tick over, after the car is started from cold, on an irregular basis (i.e. not like what you'd expect from a worn belt driven at a constant pace with a bit flailing around). While I'm not overly certain it goes away after the engine is warmed through it certainly isn't anywhere near as noticeable after I get to work (a fifty minute drive at usually a steady pace).

My first though was an injector seal had gone, due to what looked like diesel at that end of the engine, turns out someone was a bit sloppy with an oil fill as it looks like overspill (I can only assume it was during the service as I'm not that slap dash).

I'll see if it goes when the clutch is depressed when I get home (I'm in the Rover today so she hasn't been started since friday).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That'd be a yep, it goes (or at least reduces in volume below the usual clatter of an oil burner) when the clutch is depressed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts