Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok when i'm taking up drive i'm getting a clicking/knocking noise. not sure exactly where from, but it can clearly be heard in car with windows shut. happens when taking up drive in 1st gear and when letting off the accelerator and then on again in 1st 2nd 3rd. the furthur you press the accelerator down after coming fully off it the louder it is, if you only press accel a small amount you can barely hear it. its there in 4th and 5th aswell but isn't so noticable. initially when it started i counted 3 clicks exactly everytime, now after about 6 months its more like 3-6 clicks and i've recently noticed that its doing it whilst cornering too. i've noticed that it is doing it when i'm holding accel around 10% of its travel down to maintain a constant speed then i corner without touching brake or altering accel position i'm getting a clicking noise from left of car on right handers and vice versa. as far as i know the car has never had new front suspension top mounts and plates. i have checked just about everything for play and i've read all the other threads regarding the top mounts. i have not yet come across any 145/146 that has had the same symptoms. i've also tried turning the wheel with engine running whilst my hand is on first one strut top and then the other and i cannot feel any knocking atall. the car has begun to wander slightly though whilst i'm holding the wheel perfectly straight, and i have noticed that i'm needing to correct it a lot more than i used to when maintaining a constant speed. although under hard acceleration and hard braking i can let go of the wheel and do not need to correct it atall.
any opinions and help would be greatly apreciated as it's driving me mad now!!!!

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
It's the correcting thing thing right at the end that has me, that I would put down to worn out lower wishbone bushes, and when they get REALLY bad they click as they take up the strain, this is where I would start my investigation along with ensuring the engine mounts are in sound condition.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers smaky but i've just replaced both wishbones for my MOT last wednesday. and yep you've guessed it, it was doing it before and it's still doing it after i renewed both wishbones.
and to update, earlier on i got my missus to drive my car with bonnet up and get it to make the noise. i placed my hand on both strut tops ad could not feel it atall in either strut top. in fact i could not hear it when it was doing so, although she assures me that she could clearly hear it. however when i crouched down next to either wheel i could hear it proper loud. Outer CV's?????

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Also, one more thing to check is that none of the lower wishbone or subframe bolts are loose and also have a look out for worn or loose enging mounts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys. checked out my droplinks earlier, the bushes are a bit perished and past there best. However the noise does not resemble worn ARB bushes. and when accelerating through bends no noise atall, but when drifting into bends and accelerating out click click click click as soon as i put my foot down. also if i go into a bend drifting and do not touch accel - no noise atall.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
I'd change the ABR DL bushes then if it persists look at the CV joints.

Though you say the mount bearings are fine they are still high on my list too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts