Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm new here, probably because my Veloce has never given me any grief! Before. Now I need advice for a puzzling 'here today gone tomorrow' fault. Thank you for your time - all comments welcome.

Some days - maybe one in ten - the Alfa bucks like a kangaroo (ok that's an exag.) when taking off in 1st or reverse. Makes me look like a first-time learner driver, v. uncomfortable, not 'slight'. No amount of pedal finessing will result in a smooth take-off. All you can do is over-rev and slip the clutch - a lot. Fun, but a bit hairy when tight-spot parking!

My question is this: the forum posts on this subject are rare, but it seems clutch judder on a newish car with only 15k on the clock, is not going to be wear-related. Some posters reckon that oil leaking onto the clutch plates might cause this fault, some that a misalignment with the flywheel might be to blame. In either case, how come the next day all is well, with my Alfa back to normal smooth take-up like nothing ever happened.

The Alfa's still in warranty, but the problem never crops up when I'm near the Dealership, and if it did, I'll bet the response would be "wait and see if it gets any worse". They are certainly not going to start ripping out the clutch assembly as a favour to my peace of mind. I'd have thought.

I suppose my point, needing more brain-power than I possess, is this. What could possibly be causing this problem? I mean thinking in purely mechanical terms, if something is oil-contaminated it stays oily; loose, it stays loose, mis-aligned it stays mis-aligned.

What say, guys?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well Steve, as you can see, no wisdom has been forthcoming from the combined brains of this normally 'full of ideas' forum.
What I can say, and this may cheer you up if you've recently purchased your 1.8 and are worried by this odd clutch behaviour, is that I still have my Alfa, now with 36k on the clock, and the occasional clutch judder has neither got worse nor better.
I've had enough mileage experiance to have nailed the circumstances under which it will normally occur. I used to regularly do a 300 odd mile round trip every fortnight, and the judder would crop up on the next day and persist for a few more days 'around town/commuting' etc.
Now I rarely venture further than locally and the judder is almost never there, but when I do an airport run or a long motorway trip, there it is, next day, just like before.
As no-one else seems to have this problem, it must be a one-off manufacturing anomoly perhaps some detritus on the clutch plate, but that's a guess.
I've developed quite a clutch-feathering technique along the way, and pride myself on not having passengers notice the problem ;-)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I have been experiencing this too. Noticed that some days its not so bad. After a 450km trip it was back to the usual judder in 1st and 2nd. Does anybody have any recommendations on where to start with resolving this? I don't want to have to fork out to replace the clutch unit if it does not need replacing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
clutch judder

me too guys - had it on my 1.6147 for 2 years - 30,000 miles now.

Just like the OP i have developed techniques for feathering, but ive always wondered what the hell it is!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dependable repeatable circumstances...

As the posters gather over the years, perhaps someone with dismantling experience will solve this irritating problem. It certainly can be reliably reproduced: I did a 360 mile non-stop round trip on Sunday, and guess what the Monday evening shopping run produced? That's right - the Alfa judder was back. Two days later - smooth as silk.

This must be what Clarkson and Co are always banging on about - "Alfas - the true petrolhead's choice - beautiful, thrilling, cornering heaven, but oh so frustrating with their niggling little faults" going on then to make racist comparisons with an Italian gf :lol:

·
Premium Member
77,413 Posts
As the posters gather over the years, perhaps someone with dismantling experience will solve this irritating problem. It certainly can be reliably reproduced: I did a 360 mile non-stop round trip on Sunday, and guess what the Monday evening shopping run produced? That's right - the Alfa judder was back. Two days later - smooth as silk.

This must be what Clarkson and Co are always banging on about - "Alfas - the true petrolhead's choice - beautiful, thrilling, cornering heaven, but oh so frustrating with their niggling little faults" going on then to make racist comparisons with an Italian gf :lol:
spot on :thumbs:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts