Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I simply go to Alfa with my log book and id to obtain my keycode? I didnt get a keyring with the code on it when I bought the car :(. Also do they charge for this?

When are you likely to need this code anyway?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I didnt know there were two codes? when my friend recently bought his GTV he got a brown master key and a red key along with a plastic keyring card with a code on it. When I bought my car I only got a red key, so I'm assuming that this code may be important :). I know that I need a brown key to have anymore keys cut but that I believe is the single sole purpose of the brown key so I'm not overally fussed about that.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I don't know about later on, but in the phase 1 era, insurance companies were reluctant to allow owners to have the immobiliser code. If you look at your windows, you'll see a telephone number ( 0181 ... ). You were supposed to call that number for assistance if there were difficulties. The other number etched on the windows is the VIN number ( excluding the ZAR9160000 bit ).

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
As PKR says I got the same story bout ins companies from the previous owner of mine (who had car from new) which is a phase 2 so recon its right.................although there is a sequence you can go through switching ignition on and off (mar) to get you going if the imobiliser circuit looses its code assuming you know that code...........however I dont know if and when that code loss would or could happen.............the red tag on the keyring is I beleive, the alarm code + fob

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I'm sure I read on here JC that you can get your red key cloned without the brown one ...........Please correct me if I'm wrong folks :confused:

·
Registered
40 Posts
hi i've copied numerous red keys at timpsons (about 45 a go).

Apparently it's if your immobiliser going wrong that you need the brown master key.

Lots of cars don't have them anymore due to owners losing them and you just have to hope don't have immobiliser failure..

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
hi i've copied numerous red keys at timpsons (about 45 a go).

Apparently it's if your immobiliser going wrong that you need the brown master key.

Lots of cars don't have them anymore due to owners losing them and you just have to hope don't have immobiliser failure..

:thumbs: When I needed new keys for my P1 I got two Blanks from eBay for about a tenner each and the " Key Guy " in the local Market cut and coded them for about a tenner the pair. He said that he could have supplied the Blanks too but they may have been FIAT ones.

I did use the Brown Key for the job but I'm 99% sure that any working Red key would have done.

·
16,340 Posts
oh thanks Nige - could save me future haemorrages in shoe repair shops..
:lol: Always worth trying the Market guys first. Not had a key cut at Timpsons for years but I know they are bluidy expensive for retreading shoes......... :eek:

·
16,340 Posts
you shouldn't use rethreads on a gtv :tut::lol:
:lol::lol:

At my current levels of energy retreads are fine for my own my own personal pair of rubbers ! :eek:

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Just go to any decent key cutters they should have the equipment to code the keys. I paid £25 complete.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts