1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preface:
My last 3 cars were Alfa:
156 JTD 2.4 Lusso - loved the drive, but not the uncomfortable seats
159 JTS 2.2 Lusso - loved the look, but heavy. Also that engine was very uninspiring
159 TI TBI - loved everything about it, except the ride on uneven surface roads and rough tarmac
I owe my love (curse) for Alfa to my dad, as most of my photos as a 1-2 year old are in his white Giulia :rotate:

With the 159 feeling the age, I started looking for a newer Alfa. When the time came for a change I debated between a Giulia Veloce and a Stelvio Speciale. Settled on a Stelvio Milano.
I am a relatively small guy, so the higher viewpoint swung it. I also play in a couple of bands so transporting equipment was important and the Giulia's boot was way too small, whilst the Stelvio has a large boot with no ridge, which is a bonus.

- The cluster / displays. In an age of iPad type screens, I love what Alfa has done with the analog displays and a relatively simple infotainment with a screen embedded in the dashboard. All the reviews I watched pointed to low quality screens / dials but I simply don't see this.
- It feels really luxurious inside. The 159 TI had quite a few nice touches, but this is another world. I can't fault anything really.
- The handling. I was used to the 159 TI's low centre of gravity but dare I saw this is just as fun and stable. For an SUV it is remarkable.
- The ambient lights
- The colour - Misano Blue is youthful, classy and sporty at the same time. It reminds me of the colour of the Italy National shirt :rotate:
- The little details (the dials flashing when you close the doors, the button on the steering wheel, etc.).
- The boot (layout and space).
- The look of the car from the front
- Those gear paddles :rotate:
- Very smooth auto gearbox
- The heated steering wheel :rofl:
- The higher viewpoint (it felt like a tractor at the beginning, but now I love it). I feel more protected / sheltered, but it also has a more calming effect somehow.
- The speed at which the cabin is heated. I mean it is really fast!

Dislike
- The name (I am half Italian and even for me it sounds wrong). They should have gone for something along the Giulia line.
- Road noise. This is a biggy for me. It feels like I have the window open all the time. I had this looked by the dealer. They test drove its and they said all seals were fine and that level of noise was normal. Not convinced.
- The look of the car from the side / back. Not very exciting, especially the back.
- The wheels I got on mine are silver 20" V-spoke. I much would have preferred the dark petal ones. Personal choice...
- Would have loved red (or yellow) calipers, but got black. Personal choice
- I am not convinced about the breaking system. It feels inconsistent (for lack of a better word). Preferred the 159 breaks.
- Apple Car Play. Whilst I really like the idea, the implementation is hit and miss (I recognise this is Apple Car Play's, not Alfa's fault). You can't have messages re-read to you. You don't have shortcuts for zooming out and in on maps.
- Keyless entry works most of the time but not 100%
- Splitting hairs here but the little notch switch for the wipers feels very flimsy

Overall, I am convinced I made the right choice, both in terms of choice over competition and choice over the Giulia (the latter being for personal circumstances). I absolutely love being in the cabin and I have noticed my driving has become calmer and more composed. I can still dig in when I have to (and boy does it shift) but I am no longer getting frustrated in traffic jams (I think this is a direct consequence of the more elevated viewpoint and the auto gearbox).
It is really fun when you push it and I look forward to my Sunday night band rehearsals when I drive 15 miles of empty country roads to get there and back.
Lastly, it is unique. I mean how often do you see another one? And when you do, they flash at you in a sign of recognition and proud membership of this special brotherhood. Priceless! :rotate:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Tremolo
couldn't agree more.
Luckily got a Milano (in Red) with the dark petal wheels and red calipers.
Road noise, not noticed except the crap M25.
Brakes are OK on mine?
I agree with the wiper switch, not as good as the one on my olf Giulietta.
The thing that bugs me most is the nav system calling motorways expressways...haven't been able to change it!!!

Still not seen another Stelvio on the road??? Hope to get a wave soon:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Tremolo
couldn't agree more.
Brakes are OK on mine?
The thing that bugs me most is the nav system calling motorways expressways...haven't been able to change it!!!

·
Registered
32,062 Posts
Mash
I see that the satnav has you repeating your voice commands and this has carried through to writing your posts twice too!
I’m very pleased with mine and can’t think of much that I can complain about. I have not read the instructions for the satnav so I still don’t understand how to input by postcode. It always thinks I am trying to spell a place name.

·
Registered
115 Posts
- The wheels I got on mine are silver 20" V-spoke. I much would have preferred the dark petal ones. Personal choice...
I bought an in-stock Milano that had the dark petal wheels fitted but got them changed to the v-spokes (FoC). We could have swapped :rofl:

Mine's coming up to 1k miles. Have been taking it easy so far as instructed to. Can't wait to put it in D and have some fun.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought an in-stock Milano that had the dark petal wheels fitted but got them changed to the v-spokes (FoC). We could have swapped
That would have been awesome. At least you got yours swapped at no charge. I bought my Stelvio from Sytner (BMW) so they had no access to other Alfa wheels.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Tremelo Arm,

Interesting summary, there's quite a lot of overlap in your observations and rationale for going with the Stelvio with my own predicament. I've got both work gear and band gear I need to move around and the Giulia wouldn't cope with it well, my GTV interior suffered with me throwing a 100 watt combo into the back seats as you can expect but no problems with access in the Stelvio. I held off for a while until the right personal combination came along (colour, petal wheels and red calipers). I have also found that I'm driving more sedately and just roll with the surrounding rather than trying to claim every inch of the road.

I disabled the keyless myself so haven't experienced it's flaws
I agree the wiper switch is a little flimsy but I like it..
Don't have car play but just use google maps on a phone as it's quicker on working out traffic issues than the onboard

All the other observations I'm in agreement with.

The only outstanding query I've got is with this bloody start/stop feature.. Mine doesn't work 95% of the time which some would say is a bonus but last night it started again out of the blue after I had the wipers, lights and blower running which surprised me as I thought it may have something to do with battery levels?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Link here @Tremolo Arm in the Stelvio forum on wind noise https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/9-alfa-romeo-stelvio-general-discussion-forum/7906-wind-sound.html
I personally do not notice it much.
The start/stop not working is typically associated with a weakened battery. Posted elsewhere. I turned it off as a 'pre-flight' maneuver. A fully charged battery makes the car works as intended.
From my experience, one negative is the forward collision warning going crazy when it rains/car wash. Something to do with the sensors/wires getting wet. After they get dry again, back to normal functioning. Sounds like a design flaw.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the heads up. I did read the thread. It’s not so much road noise. It’s sound insulation (or lack thereof). The general consensus seems to be that sound penetrates he cabin due to the materials used to make the car lighter.
At Thames Motor they told me that the doors are mostly hollow compared to previous vehicles.
I’m slowly getting used to it but it’s not a feature I like, I must admit. It’s even worse when it rains as the splashes / water noise seems to amplify it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tremelo Arm,

Interesting summary, there's quite a lot of overlap in your observations and rationale for going with the Stelvio with my own predicament. I've got both work gear and band gear I need to move around and the Giulia wouldn't cope with it well, my GTV interior suffered with me throwing a 100 watt combo into the back seats as you can expect but no problems with access in the Stelvio. I held off for a while until the right personal combination came along (colour, petal wheels and red calipers). I have also found that I'm driving more sedately and just roll with the surrounding rather than trying to claim every inch of the road.

I disabled the keyless myself so haven't experienced it's flaws
I agree the wiper switch is a little flimsy but I like it..
Don't have car play but just use google maps on a phone as it's quicker on working out traffic issues than the onboard

All the other observations I'm in agreement with.

The only outstanding query I've got is with this bloody start/stop feature.. Mine doesn't work 95% of the time which some would say is a bonus but last night it started again out of the blue after I had the wipers, lights and blower running which surprised me as I thought it may have something to do with battery levels?

Cheers
A fellow musician! That’s really good to hear. And a 100w combo suggests some serious devotion to the art!
Whereabouts are you based?

·
Registered
344 Posts
A fellow musician! That’s really good to hear. And a 100w combo suggests some serious devotion to the art!
Whereabouts are you based?
I'm over in Essex, been playing for donkeys years.. first love.. but gone to the dark side on bass last few years.. I always think of the Stratocaster when I see your handle in the threads :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Link here @Tremolo Arm in the Stelvio forum on wind noise https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/9-alfa-romeo-stelvio-general-discussion-forum/7906-wind-sound.html
The start/stop not working is typically associated with a weakened battery. Posted elsewhere. I turned it off as a 'pre-flight' maneuver. A fully charged battery makes the car works as intended.
From my experience, one negative is the forward collision warning going crazy when it rains/car wash. Something to do with the sensors/wires getting wet. After they get dry again, back to normal functioning. Sounds like a design flaw.
Wind noise or road roar I’ve not really noticed either.

I’ve noticed that anything more than a drop of rain or spray and the FCW goes into error and stops working. I’m adding it to the growing list of things the dealer needs to look at at first service.

Alarm was going off last night too, perfectly still clear night, so no idea why. Car is new enough to apparently have all the new sensors and modules etc.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Tremolo
couldn't agree more.
Brakes are OK on mine?

One extra bug - on mt old Giulietta - the rear wiper was connected so that it matched the auto wipe at the front.
Not on the Stelvio?? Also, manual says the rear is intermittent wipe when you push down the stalk, mine just goes continuously?? Can't see this as a setting anywhere?

·
Registered
32,062 Posts
The rear wiper operates when reversing and the front wipers are working. I noted it this weekend.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow,that stelvioforum.com site is full of great stuff. The 'use button 3 to tilt the mirrors down for parking' on the tips thread is brilliant. Wish I'd thought of it.

https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/9-alfa-romeo-stelvio-general-discussion-forum/9163-stelvio-tips-n-tricks-2.html#post105951

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
When I have time @SickStu, I check the Stelvio forum, then the Giulia forum and then the Alfa Owner's forum (this one). All have great stuff. Since I have a Stelvio, I prefer the first one although I like to read from other Stelvio owners (and Giulia owners) on this forum.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Tremelo - interesting to read your comments about your earlier Alfa's! I'm seriously considering getting a 159 TBi when my current 166 2.0TS dies. Good comment you made about your TBi - but did you find the engine noise very flat, uninspiring & not Alfa-like? It's pretty important to me in a car. Also did you find the economy as bad as what everyone makes out? Cheers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts