Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 50mph average speed cameras have finally been removed so I've found myself with extra time on the commute to work.

So I thought I'd take this time to conduct some tests to see what MPG you can get if you drive 'carefully'.

The last few journeys gave me (according to the trip computer):

1 39.9
2 38.6
3 41.1
4 40.1
5 41.6
6 39.5
7 42.4

Ave: 40.5

So I figure average 40mpg is actually quite achievable. Conversely, here are some stats for my 'normal' driving pattern.

1. 37.5
2. 36.7
3. 33.9
4. 33.4
5. 35.8
6. 35.1
7. 33.3

Ave: 35.1

Overall the difference is I reckon £10 a tank. Hardly worth it if you don't fill up that much.

The main difference in driving is just putting it in manual around town, shifting up at 1500 rpm, accelerating slowly, coasting to neutral when appropriate and leaving it in 8th on the motorway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
MPG doesnt really concern me, i just like to enjoy the car. My overall average is 29mpg since i've had it (veloce). not sure how that stacks up against others. i make no efforts to increase it other than driving in "N" mode most of the time.

·
Registered
1750 GTV, 2000 GTV, Stelvio Milano 280
5,236 Posts
Interesting.
I’ve not seen better than 37mpg yet and that was being very very cautious using A. I normally seem to be doing around 32 to 33, which is not what I’d hoped for to be fair.
In a Veloce 280.

Might try the manual technique and see how it compares.

·
Registered
189 Posts
2.0 Super
I've never had above 31mpg.
Mostly in N mode with a 2 hour daily drive in traffic.
I was expecting better but the car is great so ho-hum.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Veloce 280 - I've tracked my first 1500 miles on fuelly.com at 32.9 mpg. Mostly nice, steady driving in A or N with occasional spirited bursts in D.

I'm hoping it will improve over time as I too was expecting better....

·
Registered
447 Posts
Haven't got mine yet (Veloce)... but currently getting around 20mpg in the Brera, so 30mpg disappointing? I'll settle for that!

Reactions: Top Down

·
Registered
24 Posts
43-44 is the norm on a long run but the average over 10000 miles is 37. Mostly in N, rarely use A now.
37 impressive as a long term average. i'd have to go some to hit that i think! i might edge over to 30 if im lucky as the engine beds in (only 1500 miles total so far)

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio Feb 2017 Alfa Rosso, Fiat 500e Apr 2021
2,170 Posts
I'm getting 38 out of my A6 2.0TDI So I'll be very happy with 32 in the Veloce!
Quadrifoglio 23.1mpg over 9,500 miles.

I do spend a fair bit of time in Manual and D when not on main roads / motorways.

Few short or urban journeys. I use the MiTo for those.

Andy

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Interesting.
I’ve not seen better than 37mpg yet and that was being very very cautious using A. I normally seem to be doing around 32 to 33, which is not what I’d hoped for to be fair.
In a Veloce 280.

Might try the manual technique and see how it compares.
Well that didn’t work, got about 32 driving very steadily, worst eco score I’ve had for a while too at 75, I’m usually in the mid 80’s on that run.

Really don’t know how people are seeing high thirties on a regular basis unless the cars are intrinsically variable due to some sort of setting. Which would seem very unlikely.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Getting 33mpg in our Veloce - daily commute from Warrington to Salford on rush-hour M6/M62. Was hoping for better but guess that's what you get when you have a performance car :devious:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hmmm, "intrinsically variable due to some sort of setting" - I think that might be the driver's right foot!

My MPG soon drops if running around town but thankfully I don't do that too often in the Giulia as I have other cars that I tend to use for this purpose. Regular 300-mile motorway trips certainly help keep up the average.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Hmmm, "intrinsically variable due to some sort of setting" - I think that might be the driver's right foot!
e.
I genuinely would have agreed with that, before I got the Veloce, but given that I used to get 30mpg out of a 156GTA I do think my driving style can be moderated to economy when I want too. I’ve tried honest......

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Getting 33mpg in our Veloce - daily commute from Warrington to Salford on rush-hour M6/M62. Was hoping for better but guess that's what you get when you have a performance car :devious:
My Giulietta QV would be doing 26-27 mpg in that traffic, think yourself lucky!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

Similar route M6/M62 into Trafford Park, but before the madness starts gives me around 34/35 on the display, substantiated by 450miles from a full tank. Good enough for me

Dynamic actually returns better than I expected on the motorway, tried it on an unplanned trip to that dreaded Cheshire Oaks place, had the SDC setting on soft to ease the anxiety of going there to return a Christmas present.

Veloce MA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm averaging 25mpg in my Quad. Tomorrow however I'm doing a 500 mile night drive so I'm going to see if i can manage 40mpg+ over the trip.

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio Feb 2017 Alfa Rosso, Fiat 500e Apr 2021
2,170 Posts
I genuinely would have agreed with that, before I got the Veloce, but given that I used to get 30mpg out of a 156GTA I do think my driving style can be moderated to economy when I want too. I’ve tried honest......
I got about 24mpg average in my 156GTA over 13 years of ownership.

About 1 mpg better than I'm getting in the Quadrifoglio.

In the GTA, I bettered 30mpg from time to time on autoroutes.

For economy, I use a smaller car on local runs.

Andy

1 - 20 of 168 Posts