Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Read on the USA forum about someone having problems accessing the ecu's with MES on 2018 and later models ......
Will not just impact MES of course, but ALL OBD scanners and 3rd party apps using OBD.

Direct from MES mouth. Bad news for 2018 onwards owners :

Unfortunately we cannot do anything about the SGW for now. The SGW (Security Gateway) module blocks any diagnostic tool from executing commands on the vehicle (like actuators, procedures and even clearing of DTCs).

This device is connected between the OBD connector and CAN buses of the car. So, any command sent to any module in the car goes through this device.

The only way to unlock full diagnostic possibilities for these cars is by online Witech2 tool. It reads the unlock codes by VIN from Fiats servers and sends the unlock command to the SGW device. So far no one else has access to these unlock codes.

FCA says that this SGW device protects the car from hacking, but we think that they are actually trying to lock all aftermarket tools/service/car modifications.

There are people who are already trying to hack the device and unlock without the codes, but we have to wait and see.

So far the only possibility for diagnostics of these cars is with Witech2 online tool, or by physically bypassing the SGW device (i.e. connecting to CAN behind this device). People have success by connecting to CAN bus at different point (not at OBD connector, but body computer, dashboard or climate control). Some people also reported that they wired a second OBD port which is connected directly to body computer and does not go through this device so that they can play with their own cars.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeh that’s me.

Quite annoyed because I bought the multiplexed MES kit believing it would fully work.

Can’t believe FCA are getting away with it considering the various laws reserving the right for 3rd party maintenance etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes it will work.

It’s since been found out that this security gateway was introduced to production in February 2018, so MY2018 cars produced before that are also ok.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ok, sounds lika I should get the full MES and go fiddle about in the settings a bit :angel:

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
And where is the SGW module? Easy access or need a whole dash stripdown??

Main issue with this security is user can't reset simple error codes with a generic OBD reader or app, something I have had to do on a few occasions saving me unnecessary trips to dealer like a flat battery or non critical fault code for example. It will also restrict tuning options but am sure with a bypass module like this good tuners can defeat it. FFS FCA!!

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
The SGW is right next to the steering column, under the dash. The unit is supplied by Bosch.
Thanks MacGeek! Question really is, how easy is it to access? Do users need to remove any dash trim? Am guessing then pre 2018 cars don't have SGW? Cheers.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The SGW was introduced in late February of this year (as mentioned by the user who read my message on the US forum), so cars built before that do not have it, correct. To access the SGW you need to remove the under dash panel and the lower air duct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The SGW was introduced in late February of this year (as mentioned by the user who read my message on the US forum), so cars built before that do not have it, correct. To access the SGW you need to remove the under dash panel and the lower air duct.
I want to install the SGW bypass, you have more information how to reach the sgw module? Or pictures... If I remove the left glove compartment, i can reach the SGW connectors?

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Looks like post Feb 2018 cars will be a big hassle to install the SGW bypass module. Most annoying would be inability to reset error codes for example those caused by flat battery or use MultiEcuscan!

If bypass is connected after doing said stripdown and installation, one also needs to remove the bypass module before taking it for dealer works as Witech cannot communicate if bypass is present. What a faff!! Upgrading to a newer car is looking a bit off putting.

There are a few additional procedures for knee air bag etc. Jwq would you be able to post those so we can have a complete procedure? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
7,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If bypass is connected after doing said stripdown and installation, one also needs to remove the bypass module before taking it for dealer works as Witech cannot communicate if bypass is present. What a faff!! Upgrading to a newer car is looking a bit off putting.
I would assume that with the bypass module installed, it will just behave as though there is no SGW, so you would not need to remove it before going to the dealer.... Witech should just connect.
On the MES page, it is mentioned that people have also directly connected to the body computer. Probably a bit more fiddly, but easily accessible...

here's the file on the instrument panel
instr panel remove install.pdf
knee blocker.pdf
knee blocker driver.pdf

not quite related, but here's info on the OBD port and networks:
obd port.pdf
networks.pdf
fys connector.pdf
wiring.pdf
wiring 2017 model.pdf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have any of you succesfully installed the bypass module and get a handhell unit to function normally yet ? Any info would be much appriciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have any of you succesfully installed the bypass module and get a handhell unit to function normally yet ? Any info would be much appriciated
I'm actually exploring using the double bypass kit from Zautomotive. I just can't seem to locate the STAR connection box/panel. I think it's in the trunk. Anyone have any idea or schematics of where it is exactly?

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
I'm actually exploring using the double bypass kit from Zautomotive. I just can't seem to locate the STAR connection box/panel. I think it's in the trunk. Anyone have any idea or schematics of where it is exactly?
I have seen the double bypass kit for Jeep, so being FCA I would think the Giulia would be similar but having said that everything was designed ground up so maybe different. Perhaps you could try messaging @MacGeek ?

Reactions: Boo2boy

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
On my Stelvio, produced in April...MES with wifi (their obd tool) works without any problems. Their older unit with BT or any other ELM interfaces sames to have problems. Will have to check if I really have the SGW or not. Will try on my wife's 500X which has the SGW for sure and let you know.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts