Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at the OBD connector on the 147 and it looks like you could plug in an OBD2 socket for reading codes... can this be done? im reading about some interface that needs to be made. is there any way an off the shelf universal OBD2 scanner can read through the onboard port?

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
You need an OBDII cable (with modifivation for airbag) and Alfadiag (or Unidiag for diesels), PM me for the cable and a demo version Alfadiag on CD.

·
Registered
Alfa Mito, 2010, 1.4NA, 6-speed
9,357 Posts
check out http://www.alfadiag.net but you might find if you have a later 147 (after 2001 for petrol, 2004 for diesel) other diagnostics work. If you run a search or two, you'll find lots of views and threads. The interface you need is a VAG-COM KKL OBDII connecter like this

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
check out AlfaDiag Alfa Romeo Diagnostic Software but you might find if you have a later 147 (after 2001 for petrol, 2004 for diesel) other diagnostics work. If you run a search or two, you'll find lots of views and threads. The interface you need is a VAG-COM KKL OBDII connecter like this

so whats the difference between that cable and a regular OBDII-to-USB cable?

·
Registered
30,391 Posts
Is yours Petrol or Diesel?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its petrol... i have access to one of these www.canobd2.com tools and also the ELM327 tool and various software...

am i right thinking that if the software can select the correct protocol and the socket physically fits, then it will be able to communicate?

looking at the socket on the 147, it doesnt look like the exact same shape as the usual OBD2 socket, as it is just a rectangular shape without the triangle-like outer part... so if the OBD2 socket can plug in it could go in upside down.

·
Registered
30,391 Posts
The 147 is EOBD, but the socket is almost identical to OBD2 (FYI there have never been any OBD2 Alfas, despite what the people selling interfaces say. OBD2 was a std for the USA only).

AlfaDiag will work, see their website for recommended interfaces.

Other generic software may get some functionality, but EOBD is still not 100% universal so they will be limited in relation to a dedicated piece of software like AlfaDiag.

·
Registered
200 Posts
ive just got a ELM327 from ebay using it with pcmscam and its brilliant works perfect with my 156 jts, the socket on the 156 is rectangular shape as well with no triangle-like outer part but if you look at the pins on the connector thet are set as a rectangle so the lead fits.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just to say thanks rarebear, :thumbs::thumbs:
got the cable really quickly,
followed his instructions and hey presto!! keep up the good work.
(only problem is my work mates are pestering me now)
odb and alfa diag is the only way.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Andrew ! thank you for the feedback... and glad you got your Bella sorted !

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Hi Nick
please PM me or email to [email protected], it is not allowed to talk money on
the forum....

G

·
Ok, cheeky post, just put modded Vagcom KKL type cable on eBay, works perfectly with FiatEcuScan... Used to access all Ecus on my 156 (now sold the 156)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All, I saw you there but did not understand,
I using Alfa 147 TSpark, Petrol, and i not understand Can I use this adapter
, and can I use with this adapter alfadiag or FiarECUScan?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts