Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I used a cheap OBD Bluetooth unit and as soon as I connect it to my 147's port the dashboard goes dead (no RPM, temperature at 0, fuel at 0 with flashing lights etc)

The unit works fine in other cars and the dashboard works fine after disconnecting it.

Any ideas? it looks like something is shorted when the Unit is connected. Isn't the OBD port universal?

Thnx

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
When looking for advice what to buy, I've seen similar problems mentioned elsewhere in the forums. Summary: the port is universal, support for EOBD is not, do not use that OBD reader it may cause damage. Look for one with OBD2 and EOBD support.

I have a Maxiscan 903 which works fine with Torque (eBay, about £9). The only issue is that although it shuts down after 30mins of inactivity, it still drains the battery if left plugged in. A week will flatten the battery completely, I discovered.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for clarifying.

The one I used is the classic blue EML327 mini sold at eBay. It could be an quality issue with the Unit though.

I will try to find an buy the one you have since is proven to work.

Regarding the battery drain issue it can easily be resolved with some transistors powered from the ignition switch (disconnecting the Unit when removing the key). I will give it a try and let you know of the outcome.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Someone had the same recently ... the unit proved to be faulty (or just cheap and nasty)

It MUST be EOBD compatible if your car is after Sept 2000. Before that bluetooth adapters are unlikely to work properly if at all.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I bought a short OBD2 extension cable for a few quid, which makes it easier to attach or remove the dongle. The extension lead just tucks behind the dash. No screwdriver needed to get at the socket and no battery drain anymore.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I bought a short OBD2 extension cable for a few quid, which makes it easier to attach or remove the dongle. The extension lead just tucks behind the dash. No screwdriver needed to get at the socket and no battery drain anymore.
Exactly what I done mention in my battery drain thread

1 - 6 of 6 Posts