Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am looking for advise as my O/S front headlamp washer is continually leaking even when it has not been used.

Any help would be appreciated but if not I will do some investigations of my own when I remove to bumper early next year (needs respraying along with bonnet and grille).

G Baker

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had this problem for the 1st 3 years of owning my 155, the main dealer said it would require removing bumper and cost £40 labour so I left it, (it was worse with the lights left on). After my warrenty finished I got the car MOT/serviced at a local garage and it has never leaked since (2.5 yrs) the garage never mentioned doing anything and didn't charge me so I don't think it would have been more than a 2 min job :)
I still don't know wot they did though

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate,

Getting the same prob on the 164 have posted on AO for numan to help me out! In case you don't know works for Alfa dealer as technician but he hasn't read it yet its a pitty we can't get him to defect over :D :D as he'd be awesome here at most of the probs.

I think its the one of the non return valve's that causes the leak but I'm unsure how to pop the jets out of the bumper without breaking, anyway if I get anywhere I'll let you know unless someone here solves it first!

Cheers MAK

164 Super

100% FREE OF BMW PARTS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Guys

If it is just a non return valve I will take a look next time I put it in the four poster (much easier to see things when its at that level).

I feel slightluy reassured that it isn't anything major.

Happy motoring

G Baker

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Grant,

Pretty sure it is caused by the non return valve (will let you know if it stops the leak) Have spoken to Numan and surprise surprise I have to take the bumper off to get at the little sod!

I would imagine that it was the same on the 155 and I was going to tell you how much one is, but if the finest postal service in the world is working you will be able to look it up yourself tomorrow :D

Bye for now

MAK

100% FREE OF BMW PARTS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks Mak

I look forward to browing the parts CD when I get it, once again many thanks for copying it for me.

As for the headlamp washers I leave them until I take the bumper etc. off to get it all sprayed up. So I'd better get saving to pay the the spray job.

All the best Grant

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dear guys,
please, please tell me a quick fix for this problem if it exists. this time of year i'm really suffering! every time i fill my washer reservoir it lasts about 30 mins as it just keeps pouring out of my driver's side h'lamp washer. is it really a job involving taking off the bumper?
if anyone knows of a quick answer for a non-technical person like myself please let me know!!
thanks in advance
raj

·
Registered
550 Posts
SORRY RAJ, BUT IT IS EXACTLY LIKE MAKAVELI SAYS.
GOOD LUCK
JORGE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Jorge,
thanks for your reply,
somehow the problem has sorted itself out for know I just hope it stays that way!
Regards, Raj

·
Registered
715 Posts
A dig around the forum unearths this old chestnut!!

Ever since I bought a Peugeot 205 GTI as a play thing, the 155 has started crying as mentioned in the previous posts. If the non return valve located in the actual headlamp washer jet? I'm a bit aprehensive to take my jet out as the tops of the bumpers have been colourcoded and they were done with the washer jets in situe so will split the paint.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
[I don't know about the 155 but every other car I've seen which have headlamp powerwash have a high pressure pump (higher pressure than screenwash) and the washers incorporate a pressure valve which only opens when there is sufficient liquid flow. It then shuts automatically to prevent the leaking you talk about. I'm afraid you'll need new washer jets or 1.8 bumpers! :)

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Had a similar problem with mine when i first got it :rolleyes:

I traced it to a 3 way connector joint that had come loose ...............I managed to get my hands through the grilles in the lower middle of the bumper and push the joint back together :D Never had a problem since :D

Btw think it was the frost that pushed it apart when the pipes froze up :confused:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
If you want to sort the problem out temporarily, get under the bumper, find the pipe leading to the weeping washer and disconnect it.

You'll have to block it tightly, somehow or the water pressure when you wash the screen will tend to push out whatever bung you use. It may be worth disconnecting the wires to the headlamp washers at the same time.

Ralf S.

·
Banned
477 Posts
I had this problem and just disconnected the plug for the headlight washer pump.

·
Registered
715 Posts
where exactly is this pump located (he types lazily as he can't be bothered to get his workshop manuals out!!!)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Pulled the fuse on mine, for the three following reasons:

1. They didn't clean the lights (the lens hot enough just to bake the dirt on).

2. In doing the above they empty the washer bottle every third day.

3. If they get blocked the water pressure causes the jets to come flying out of the body and are lost forever!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well thanks alot gentlemen all this talk of leaking headlamp washers, my washer pump has started leaking. I walked out of the house the other morning to find iceicles hanging from the front bumper. I checked the price on the patrs disc and they are £83.59 :eek: :eek: , but I have a cunning plan I intend to buy one off Bosch direct for approx. £50. :cool: :D :D

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thanks Ted but I've ordered it already, the thing is I had 1 go on my 75 after about 2 years ownership and replaced it with a new one and never had to touch it again. :)
Anyway went to see my Alfa dealer today to order the rubber piece it fits in and just to be certain of the price and guess what it's gone up in price now it's £86+vat but because I went to Bosch for it, I paid £47.95 inc. vat, and I got to see another 155 great!!! :cool:
Alfa part no. 60507088 :cheese: :cheese:
Bosch part no. 0 392 003 451 :cool: :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts