Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the search for parts for my rear end rebuild, 15503821 is a nut that makes a regular appearance. The miser in me refuses to pay over £6 for a nut from Alfa that I need ten of.
M12 1.25 pitch nyloc.
The closest I have got is a top specification nut but it is different in that it is what is termed a P nut or Full nut, however the Alfa nut is about 2mm taller and has a couple of extra threads.
I'm a bit stumped on this one. What have others done when replacing the old nuts?
Old nuts cannot be reused due to corrosion...

Thanks in advance for help, Tom

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Hello Tom.
I have frequently reused all nuts and bolts when fitting new rear suspension parts. If you want nice clean nuts and bolts take the 1s you have to a shot blaster and be prepared to be laughed at. They do come up like new tho :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've derusted all the main parts like the pans, wish bones etc by soaking them in a molasses bath for a week, worked wonders, leaving just a blow over with the blaster required before powder coating.

The nuts however I really want to use new ones, especially as they are nyloc, which I don't like to reuse on anything. I am probably being anal about this but every part that is going back on will be looking better than new.
Will be phoning Fiat dealership tomorrow as have found an alternative fiat number for the same nuts, may well be more nicely priced than Alfa. I don't mind spending cash and it seems with the v6 there is quite a lot to be spent but I still can't get over how a nut can cost the same as a couple of pints. The pricing of the small parts from Alfa for the rear end (ie nuts and bolts) seems to have absolutely no logic to it whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The use of the p nut from your local supplier will be fine.

I have used them on all my front end with out issue, same with bolts car makers tend to use odd sizes that you can't get over the counter but after years of work in parts procurement for the military I can assure you that so long as the bolt is the same thread and tensile strength fitting one that is 2-3mm shorter/longer isn't an issue so long as
1.it doesn't foul on anything
2.it is fully in too the securing nut

1 - 5 of 5 Posts