Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I had the an issue with my upper control arm nut, that it kept spinning in place and I had to use a dremel to cut it off! But now I don't know what nut is required! Does anyone know what spec nut is required for the upper control arm ball bearing?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi
If the nut was spinning, is the thread not damaged?
If it is, replacing only the nut will probably not help. It might not reach desired torque setting, rendering the connection unsafe. Might be worth changing the whole arm for safety sake!

·
Registered
452 Posts
P/N 51762974 - locking nut

That is to say above applies for mine, which has the aluminium suspension (steering knuckle). And therefore might have another thread on its upper control arm joint (=different part number for the control arm - as a whole). The tapering of the pin is different beween the light weight version that succeeded the original design in suspension designs.

Obviously the advice from Oldsmokey should be considered in the first place.

Be careful to order matching parts!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P/N 51762974 - locking nut

That is to say above applies for mine, which has the aluminium suspension (steering knuckle). And therefore might have another thread on its upper control arm joint (=different part number for the control arm - as a whole). The tapering of the pin is different beween the light weight version that succeeded the original design in suspension designs.

Obviously the advice from Oldsmokey should be considered in the first place.

Be careful to order matching parts!
Do you know if the upper control arm for the 159 is the same as the brera? As it is a bit cheaper the get an upper control arm for 159

·
Registered
452 Posts
To answer that question, I think it would be best to work from your VIN.

I could do a random check for compatibility, but if it's incorrect at delivery of your new part ordered, it will be more costly.

·
Registered
452 Posts
A quick glance at ePer doesn't mention compatibility from my 159 (aluminium steering knuckle) with the Brera. Just with the final series 159 (MY-2010-2011).

·
Registered
452 Posts
Looking at a randomly chosen Brera MY there seems to exist some inter-changeability.

Yet, as I see more than 3 versions, all with different tapering it looks like, I strongly recommend you to do another search by your VIN. And which of the two sides you're looking for....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts