Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've had the opportunity to meet many nursing staff recently
I've been wondering whether there is a standard dress/colour code
for nurses. And does that code relate to a 'rank'.

TBH I don't even know what the various 'ranks' are.... does
anyone on here know :confused:

[I'm not going to google the topic as it may lead me down a path
I'd rather not travel]

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
My Mum was a Senior Ward Sister and struggles with the modern dress of Nursing Staff.

You used to be able to see who was a Nurse, a Sister, an auxiliary or other support staff just by the style or colour of their uniform, white, dark blue, green for instance.

There now seems to be little difference between the nurse and the cleaner.

Don't get me started on her view about what nurse should do and what they (now) don't do.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
I should know this as my bird is a nurse but I dont :eek:

All I know is that when she was a student at Derby hospital it was light blue then when you qualified it was a dark blue uniform, then when she moved over here with me it was the opposite way round......

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's interesting that it's not just me who's confused...

...and where I go (within) the hospital there is chap who wears a white uniform
and he seems to mainly bring round the tea and kikes... but he also has duties
between the patients and the Doctors :confused:

Another question, I guess, is do nurses of the same rank have different skills... I
guess they do... because there are two nurses in identical dark blue uniforms but
only one of them deals with a cannula :confused:

Maybe my experience is unusual but I have the highest praise for all the staff where I go :thumbs:

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Each NHS organisation will have their own colour etc, and this may vary year to year as uniform suppliers change.
If that's the case.... why on earth don't they settle for a single uniform and just
wear name and rank badges :confused:

I probably don't want to know the answer.... but it'll ensure plenty of duplication
of effort for the hospital Admin. staff :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
what does a nurse practitioner wear then? my fave nurse gets to wear her civvies now that she's reached that level. tbh her backside looks a whole lot better in a tight skirt than it ever did in a nurses' baggy 'dress' uniform thingy :D

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
When it was all invented, nurses used to wear little paper hats (think Anita Harris in the Carry on Doctor films...)

Hang on.. just thinking about her for a moment...

:inlove:

:D

Anyroadup.. the hats had a little stripe on there.. 1, 2 or 3... and the sister/matron always had a dark blue uniform, regardless of the nurses' uniform colour.

Nowadays, hats are out of fashion.. sluttery and super-bugs have taken over, contractors come and go as they like and you don't know who's who.. so take your pick basically.. :(

Ralf S.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
I know what you mean about not knowing who does what. I went in for day surgery before Christmas and you really can't tell who the doctors, nurses and auxiliaries are! I had to wait for them to introduce themselves!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts