Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone,

Just a quick thought, has anyone taken their Alfa to the Nurburgring? More important, has anyone timed their lap?

I've only been once in my uncles Mazda MX6, a 2.5V6, and my best lap was a 10.26 in traffic on my 2nd lap.

Always a good talking point!

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I know that sub 8s is the benchmark of a proper quick lap but 10.26 is respectable; you can't take the same risks IRL as you can on the X360/PS2 ;)

It'll be interesting to see what times are posted.:)

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Well here are some Benchmarks albeit from professionals

Horst von Saurma (D) Alfa Romeo 156 GTA, 231 PS, 1350 kg
2002-05-01, sport auto Supertest
20.000 km 139.661 km/h 8:51:000

Andrea de Adamich (I) Alfa Romeo 1600 GTA
1966-07-03, Großer Preis der Tourenwagen, EM 22.810 km 134.860 km/h 10:08:900

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sabine is fater than you in a transit!! :)
Oh god, no denying that!! Sabine is extremely fast in anything!! Clarkson was also faster in a diesel S-Type. He has a LOT more experience of track driving and had Sabine to help him.

That was only my second lap on a track ever and second lap at the ring in a new car. I think it was very respectable.

I would be very interested (when i have an Alfa!) to go back to the ring!! Brilliant addrenaline rush!!

D

·
0 Posts
10 mins and under is a good time for the normal drivers out there ie not much track experience and never being there. One of the lads I know did a 8 min odd in his own E30 M3 before but he is a racing driver and knew the ring really well at that time.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Only ever been round it in a Chrysler Voyager :eek: :eek: :eek: very scary!

I'm thinking of combining a trip there in the 156 with my trip to Formula Student Germany next summer :D

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Oh god, no denying that!! Sabine is extremely fast in anything!! Clarkson was also faster in a diesel S-Type. He has a LOT more experience of track driving and had Sabine to help him.

That was only my second lap on a track ever and second lap at the ring in a new car. I think it was very respectable.

I would be very interested (when i have an Alfa!) to go back to the ring!! Brilliant addrenaline rush!!
Just pulling your leg, They would probably time me with a calender...

·
Registered
121 Posts
1st year leon cupra r 280bhp 9m.10s btg
2nd year vx220 turbo standard 8m.50s btg
3rd year 147 gta standard 9m.01s btg
this year who knows????

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
You know that it not legal to time your lap - and you're insurance is invalid if you have an accident and they find a timing device.

Well I don't care I'm there in May - lets see what I can do:thumbs:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
You know that it not legal to time your lap - and you're insurance is invalid if you have an accident and they find a timing device.

Well I don't care I'm there in May - lets see what I can do:thumbs:
Laws don't really apply on the 'ring - especially not standard road insurance! It's only frowned upon by the 'ring authorities and if they see you with a timing device, OR a camera then they will ban you.

Without knowing I was being timed, I did it in 10.33 in my S40 T4 with 4 grown men on board, one of them being Peter K and he's not a small fella!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Laws don't really apply on the 'ring - especially not standard road insurance! It's only frowned upon by the 'ring authorities and if they see you with a timing device, OR a camera then they will ban you.

Without knowing I was being timed, I did it in 10.33 in my S40 T4 with 4 grown men on board, one of them being Peter K and he's not a small fella!
It's not a closed circuit as many people believe - it is a toll road.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
and you get a mix of pro racers (a ring taxi knocked a mini off the track when i was there), gentleman racers, boys with toys, tour bus drivers and organ doners, i mean bikers!
you can be lucky and get a nice clean lap, or get passed all the time.
some insurance policies i've had have mentioned the nurburgring as an exemtion! simple answer is not to bin it!!

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
It's not a closed circuit as many people believe - it is a toll road.
Correct, it's a deristricted public toll road and is covered under normal German road regulations - hence the reason it can't be against the law to time or film your lap! But as I say, it is against the 'ring authorities rules and you will be banned from any future laps if caught.
I fully support it, by the way - if people started pushing themselves beyond their own and the cars limits, there would be a lot more accidents than there already are.

Pretty much ALL UK insurance is null and void on the 'ring. Some policies mention it specifically by name, most mention 'de-restricted toll roads', which means your insurance is already null and void as soon as you pass that green barrier.

As for specific trackday insurance policies' standing on timing gear, the simple answer is I don't know. It's not a track, but for the sake of them covering you for the day, I suppose it is.

Either way, don't time yourself - treat it as a nice country road which has nothing coming the other way and you'll have a great time, as I did and will do next time I go. :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Correct, it's a deristricted public toll road and is covered under normal German road regulations - hence the reason it can't be against the law to time or film your lap! . . .
The filming is forbitten by the 'ring authorities, right. The timing might be not illegal, but german insurance policies state, that they're void if you take part in "events, which's purpose is to reach top speeds". So if you're german and somethings happens and police is involved and they find a timing device and they tell the insurance, you have a problem.

Although interesting, I'm also against timing. After many laps I once decided, that it would be nice to know how fast I am, so I simply memorised the time from my normal watch at the start, but after a quarter of a lap I noticed that (without really wanting it) I was taking more risks than usual, so I quickly refrained from that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ha can you imagine saying to your insurance, 'no i was on a toll road in germany called the nordschleife, nobody said anything about it being a famous race track!' wouldn't go down too well...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts