Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
slightly different to the historic thread, i have now stuck my new plates on the plinth with command refill strips as recommend (only 3 on each plate...) and front is ok, albeit i havent curved it to the end is effectively 'flapping' for an inch or 2 where the curve is. the rear seemed fine but on closing the boot it is only stuck on by 2 of the 3 strips one is undone.

sticky isnt going to work. i can use one of the existing screw holes in the plinth and drill my new plate, but not both as the graphics will be ruined by the existing 2nd screw hole

thus my question is if i wanted a new drillhole in the plate at a new location that works, would it be a case of simply drilling into the plinth, and not the actual car?

are the existing holes go all the way through plinth to bumper? i cant see that mine do, so assuming drilling a new hole in plinth is not a problem?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I got a slightly larger rear plate (you need this as there is a recess in the boot lid) and stuck it on with 3M tape. No holes are needed and the flappy plinth can be discarded.

Actually they should supply a roll of 3M tape with the car, I also used it to successfully stick down the banana shaped fuel lid. :)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a slightly larger rear plate (you need this as there is a recess in the boot lid) and stuck it on with 3M tape. No holes are needed and the flappy plinth can be discarded.

Actually they should supply a roll of 3M tape with the car, I also used it to successfully stick down the banana shaped fuel lid. :)
did you ever have plinth? so any wholes where its been taken off in boot?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
did you ever have plinth? so any wholes where its been taken off in boot?
There is a recess in the boot lid about the size of a USA licence plate. The original plinth is attached by 3 screws into this recessed area. The reason the plinths flap about is because they are about twice as wide as the recessed area and therefore the edges are not fixed. The recessed area is quite tall so If you try and stick a standard size UK plate over it you will have difficulty covering it. Slightly taller UK plates are easy to come by and overlap top and bottom by about 1/4 inch which is ideal for some 3M tape.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rear plate fell of yesterday as i was spiritedly exiting a roundabout in race - i heard a noise over the exhaust pops and thought hmm...my passenger wasnt best pleased with me pulling over in the nearby bus stop and making her dodge traffic and go fetch it...:)

proceeded to the bbq we were going to with plate on back seat and bare plinth. compound strips lost stickiness compleltely it seems and plinth not best surface to stick to i think. shutting boot vigorously just before the incident when filling up with beer didnt help. will be getting some more holes drilled to avoid ruining my county badge. no issues today in a short trip with no rear plate...quite like the look!

front still holding firm oddly despite the curve though.

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,150 Posts
Rather than start a new thread found this so thought I will add it here.

The mega sized standard UK plinth obscures the QF bumper vent feature. There were 5 ugly screw holes which I had filled and the corner repainted carefully. Now it looks new. The tow hook cover was missing in the Quad so I used the one form my earlier 2.0 Super and had it painted. The fit is not perfect as it sits slightly proud by 0.5mm or so compared to the driver's side. Still, pleased with the result. Looks great. For £144 this is quality work. Before and after pictures attached.

The car is booked in for front end PPF in a week after the paint cures fully. I will be fitting a vinyl adhesive plate to suit my private reg number after that. In the meantime if anyone stops me, oops sorry officer it came off. Italian... what do you expect! :D

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car Grille
Automotive exterior Tire Bumper Auto part Vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Sports car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
319 Posts
It looks like they've done a great job. Just put your front plate in the windscreen on the dash top. There's plenty of boy racers near where I live that do this permanently, usually in their puny modded Audi A3s so I'm sure you'll get away with it too (please note, I'm not suggesting for a minute you're a boy racer), especially as traffic cops are few and far between these days.

·
4,150 Posts
That's exactly what I have done. No offence. I much prefer....this to boy racer. :cool:

Eyewear Vehicle Album cover Car Poster

·
Registered
584 Posts
Plus it looks pig ugly 😂

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is that legal? Also, it’s an Alfa. It’s SUPPOSED to have the offset number plate.
Got the idea from a '65 European touring car round at Snett that I attended.all those years ago. Alfa had central plates then.... and Whitmore's Cortina, that won , had what I copied and i have not yet been stopped for over nigh on 3 years. Many others had those stick on plates over the years

Attachments

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Sorry that number plate on the bonnet looks awful imho. I get the sentiment from the older cars but it looks so strange on a modern car. Can we not remove the plinth and just stick the plates straight it onto the front bumper?

·
4,150 Posts
Apologies, no offence @don.norchi , I too think bonnet is not the place inspite of history. It just looks wrong and ugly to my eyes. Given a choice I wouldn't even have a front plate. Motorbikes haven't had front plate in like forever and that is never an issue, what's the point of cars having one. Either way if I must have one I will put a smaller stick on one where it is supposed to go.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm also pretty certain it will not be legal either.
Pretty sure that these days, the number plate has to be positioned in an as near to a vertical position as physically possible. But, I’m pretty sure that particular law didn’t apply in 1965.
I think I also read somewhere that under EU law, they have to be centrally placed, however, Alfa Romeo were given special dispensation by Brussels to position them in an offset position due to the design heritage of the company. Though on this last point, I’m happy to be corrected.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm also pretty certain it will not be legal either.
As I posted earlier it has been on the car for nearly 3 years now. The sticky plate itself is legal in terms of size and spacing and has the required BSI logo. Height is no problem although the inclination might be depending on what the police take on it might be should they take an interest.

For me the symmetry of its placing beats the really dreadful, **** eyed asymmetric look of the manufacturer's intended location. Others clearly do not hold that view......

Don.

PS. god help us this site too has one of these nannying devices that renders out the perfectly acceptable noun **** in a decent and frequently used context.... FFS the propietors of this site need to take a deep breath and treat us as adults.......

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've had my car since May 2019 and still not fitted the front plate. I have it on display in the windscreen. Luckily I've not had any problems yet. I bought a thick foam type plate that self sticks and can peel off and be reused but as my personalised plate is full length it didn't fit too well in the space on the bumper so didn't stay on the car.

·
Registered
584 Posts
For me the symmetry of its placing beats the really dreadful, **** eyed asymmetric look of the manufacturer's intended location. Others clearly do not hold that view......

PS. god help us this site too has one of these nannying devices that renders out the perfectly acceptable noun **** in a decent and frequently used context.... FFS the propietors of this site need to take a deep breath and treat us as adults.......
Of course its all about the personal taste of each individual.
I myself actually like the off centre front plate. IMO it's part of what makes an Alfa distinctive!

Absolutely agree on the 2nd point. (y)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Of course its all about the personal taste of each individual.
I myself actually like the off centre front plate. IMO it's part of what makes an Alfa distinctive!

Absolutely agree on the 2nd point. (y)

I was involved in the Volvo community for 25 years or so and the Volvo Owners Club had a problem with the town of Scunthorpe and consistently corrected the name of the town on their website by removing the **** from it even though the residents of that town who were VOC members had so named their beloved town for generations..... maybe the parochial worthies of the VOC new the town to be populated with ***** and felt the community would be best served by their actions....

View attachment 938297

1 - 20 of 27 Posts