Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Numberplate Camera

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  VROOM 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,
Does anyone know how to pass the wires from a numberplate light camera into the boot? Trying to install the reversing camera on my Brera but unlike the 159 there doesn't seem to be anywhere I can pass the wires through.

#3 ·
Hi Folks,
Does anyone know how to pass the wires from a numberplate light camera into the boot? Trying to install the reversing camera on my Brera but unlike the 159 there doesn't seem to be anywhere I can pass the wires through.
Oddly i have a camera but never fitted it into my 159..
It's straightforward on the 159 as there is a big gromit to the right that you can pass the wires through, did it on my last 159, but the breras boot doesn't have this.

#5 ·
Yes, grommet on the right, need something long if you don't want to take the bumper off, more intrigued on wiring to the reverse light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I passed mine through the ventilator on the o/s r on my 159 must admit, I didn't' see the grommet on mine - it'll be refitted shortly, so will try for it then.

Seems the Brera has a similar ventilator (no.1 on this link) under the bumper, there are small rubber flaps which allow you to pass a wire through, not pretty, but works fine.

Handily next to my ventilator was a pre-made earth point, which simplified things nicely.

My camera was set up with the reverse feed attached to the car's canbus system, so no need to tap a new line - it's either the green or purple wire on the loom - can't remember which.

#11 ·
Just to echo James' comments, I also initially fitted mine without the earth, but discovered it by accident however after some time, received noisy images, feedback lines and occasional no signal from the camera - which I blamed on being a cheap ebay job - found it was perfect with a dedicated earth wire.

Had also seen many comments about 'clean' supplies for reversing camera power, so used the canbus switch and powered the camera from ignition live.

#12 ·
Hi Amfalconer

'No signal altogether' suggests that your 0V/Earth connection on the video cable became disconnected. If it happened over time then the connection was probably working loose with vibration, a high resistance connection could also give the other issues you mention as you would be losing power to the camera as well as a high resistance for the video. Using the cameras 0V wire would have restored the connection for the video and the camera power. So your fault was not necessarily 'cured', just bypassed.

Clean supplies are always the best but these days power supplies on electronic equipment are very good - even the cheap stuff from the far east.

Cheers
James

#13 ·
Hi James,

It was an intermittent fault, basically resulting in a blue screen on my head unit, all connections were tight as a drum and water/weatherproofed, it had to be checked over.

I actually bought 2 at the time, and was about to replace it with a new one when I tried connecting a dedicated earth, it worked fine and still does 6 months on.

The symptoms were lines on the screen, occasional noise/distortion and occasional 'no image'

Connecting the earth was a 2 min job, so well worth doing when compared to having to remove the bumper!

#15 ·
I recently installed one of these
Quite discreet and decent quality. There is a vent on the left hand corner behind the bumper to feed the cable through, but I gave up trying to reach it and drilled a small hole directly behind the number plate light into the boot, repainted, put a grommet in and sealed it. It's more of a gadget than a necessity, but useful when parking in my tight garage.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.