Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do so many people take nice pics of there car's then hide/photo shop the number plate and spoil it. And before you all say security etc etc, how many people see your car every day and its also quite hard to get a plate made now.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Actually it's not that hard to get a plate made up - loads of websites will make one up for you, no documents needed, so I guess people are just wary. I've never posted my Alfas on site because it seems impossible to get the GT and the 156 nice and clean at the same time!!

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually it's not that hard to get a plate made up - loads of websites will make one up for you, no documents needed, so I guess people are just wary. I've never posted my Alfas on site because it seems impossible to get the GT and the 156 nice and clean at the same time!!
I get my plates online but it requires a card and address etc etc

·
Registered
862 Posts
I haven't cos this 'confuser' won't let me resize the pics ( I don't know how to do it anyway-will ask my daughter!)

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
dunno really van, maybe it's cos there will be snippets of personal info on here which could be matched up top your reg plate but i don't really see how it could be of any use to anybody tbh:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
People do warn about posting too much personal information up about yourself, and I nearly photoshoped mine out when I posted the pictures of the GTV. But then I thought it was all a bit pointless...:)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I get my plates online but it requires a card and address etc etc
Yup, but not a V5 or a form of ID or a Certificate of Entitlement document which you're SUPPOSED to present before getting a plate made up.

If I put pictures of my cars on AO, I wouldn't bother removing the number plates. Equally, however, I don't blame those that go to the trouble of doing so. Just makes plate-cloning that tiny bit easier if you don't and none of us want to be a victim of that.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
way i see it is if someone wants to steal your reg plate then surely its just as likely they will make it up or drive past you as them finding a photo on a website?

i used to always block my reg plate but im not so bothered now

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If someone wants to clone a car they won't bother getting plates made up with a legit company.

If someone wanted to nick an Alfa and then find one of the same colour with a reg plate then what better place to do that...than an Alfa Romeo forum. They don't have to go outside of their house! Remember, Alfas are still not the most popular car on the roads...

No point in making it easy for them is there....

wrinx

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I always do it...and, as Wrinx says, it is mostly due to that fact that it is nice and easy for someone to clone a car using the internet rather than having to go through the bother of driving around and finding the make and model of car that they want so they can get the reg plate.

Forums like this almost always have galleries of hundreds of cars of all colours and years for unscupulous types to take advantage of...and it does happen!

For the sake of a couple of minutes blanking out the plate I think it is worth taking the precaution...even if it may seem a little over the top to some.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Fine but the real heavys dont need to come here for a plate they have other ways and when someone hides plates on a car thats over 5 yeras old :confused:

If you want to copy mine :D

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Fine but the real heavys dont need to come here for a plate they have other ways and when someone hides plates on a car thats over 5 yeras old :confused:
You would be suprised! My Wife works somewhere that makes plates up and they get a nice stream of people begging and pleading to have plates made up on a weekly basis without any proper documentation. My Wife says they simply prove how dodgy they are when they offer a bit of 'extra cash' if the plates can be made up without any questions.

Suffice to say that they are always reported to the local police....who always say there is nothing they can really do about it and simply ignore them:rolleyes:

Ringers and clones are used for all sorts of purposes...for 'other' jobs, for quick cash, to use as a way of getting a legit vehicle to then sell on again...using the internet is common practice for lots of crimes these days and car cloning is just one of them. It may seem like a vast over reaction to remove plates form pictures of cars but I still say it is better to be safe than sorry and it is not costing me anything to do it so I am going to carry on:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts