Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it was inevitable that it would happen.

for the 12 months i've had my current gtv i have had these

yesterday a traffic car does a u turn across 6 lanes of traffic follows me up a street lights and sirens a go and pulls me for incorrect plates. kind of pushed it with but these are euro and we're in europe. but he gave the thumbs down. he did say they were readable on camera and no where near as bad as some but illegal all the same. even told him they passed the mot before xmas

miffed a little as they are no different to the irish and continental plates that so many non uk reg'd cars show driving around the uk.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i asked for that. :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
still think that we could adopt an EU standard. asthetics wise these plates display as should, last longer are easier to fit to the curved nose of the gtv and look a million times better. not bothered about the eu I symbol could happily display the uk one but aluminium plates are better.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Lol... sorry. :lol:

I had a similar type of thing on my old Mk1 MX5 briefly, but took it off. It was a square rear plate and had a japanese rising sun on the left hand side (car was an import). Thought better of it in the end, didn't fancy a pull!

·
Registered
272 Posts
What was the outcome? Did you getting a ticking off and told to change them or did you get a penalty of some sort?

·
Registered
205 Posts
still think that we could adopt an EU standard. asthetics wise these plates display as should, last longer are easier to fit to the curved nose of the gtv and look a million times better. not bothered about the eu I symbol could happily display the uk one but aluminium plates are better.
I dare say the same plate with a GB badge instead of I would not have attracted the plod in the same way.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
My friend got pulled over and fined about 3 weeks ago for having normal english style plates but with an Abarth badge in place of the EU logo.

Mind you - he had just not let the police car out of a side turning!

I've run similar with the Abarth badge on my Fiat for 7 years now and not been pulled once.

M

·
0 Posts
its nice to know that the Police are prioritising their manpower...nicking people with badges on their plates seems a wee bit petty...

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Lol... sorry. :lol:

I had a similar type of thing on my old Mk1 MX5 briefly, but took it off. It was a square rear plate and had a japanese rising sun on the left hand side (car was an import). Thought better of it in the end, didn't fancy a pull!
If your car is that kind of import you're allowed to have non-standard plates:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What was the outcome? Did you getting a ticking off and told to change them or did you get a penalty of some sort?
pink warning ticket, but big UK crackdown on plates this month. £60 fine and a visit to an MOT place to get receipt of conformity is the standard penalty.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think that the biggest problem is that, as of 1973ish all license plates on vehicles in the UK have to be retroreflective. Pressed metal plates are only allowed on vehicles manufactured/first registered before that date. Once you have got passed that problem, then you can start talking about the various design elements.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts