Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting fed up! I sorted the oil HX hoping to have a few months of troublefree motoring, but no, the car has other ideas :mad: . It's started to run on after switching off. Not every time, and it's only half a second to one second, but it's never done that before. Anybody have experience with this? Sticking relay somewhere?

And another thing: I didn't get a master key with the car, just two identical red keys. Is this going to be a problem sometime in the future? I don't have an alarm system, does that affect things?

Thanx!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
If its running on then your getting pre ignition

So it could be running too lean might be Lambda sensor or temp sensor at fault

...........Unless its got a knock sensor fitted then it could be that

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoaa!! It's just got worse, much worse! It's gotten to the point where I can park the car, switch off the ignition and drive off again with the keys removed! The only way I can see that happening is if the relays feeding the injection and ignition systems are stuck in the closed position. How else is the fuel going to get to the engine?
Next time it happens I'll pop the bonnet and whack the relay banks on the battery stand, see if that shuts the car up...

In the meantime, any other ideas?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Knackered ignition barrel then. If the car isn't switching off at all, I would suspect that.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh dear, you might be right Marlon, cause if I switch the key back to Mar and off again, it does switch off. More money into the Bottomless Pit, then.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the same problem a while back, I could take the keys out and the car kept running! it's the most bizarre experience ever!, at the time I was having trouble with the boot lid lights as the bundle of wires coming up from the main body of the car into the bootlid were damaged so I had no rear fogs/ plate lights.... this also seemed to cause gremlins with the rear lights proper AND the ignition thing!

..once the rear lights were sorted never had the same problem with the engine running on with the keys removed...

maybe this is your problem too?.. hope it is 'cos its an easier fix than a new ignition barrel I guess?

regards and good luck

raj

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
note:
the electrical contacts for the ignition barrel are not part of the barrel/key housing... it's just a wee cap that clips onto the end of the barrel. This will be a cheap item - if not the same piece on most of the alfas of the same age/range.

J

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx guys! I'll have a look at the contacts for the ignition barrel first, as this sounds like a fairly simple job. Might even be able to squeeze that in before I leave for Eritrea...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts