Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after sorting my cooling system (see thread).
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-and-166/75982-overheating.html

I drove the car for about 5 miles and all is running well when I hear a bit of a pop and no oil pressure.
Shortly after car cuts out and won't start.
I timed it car car up today after changing the water pump. I think the cams have locked, hoping I can just release them.
I wonderign if it's common after changing the head gaskets (3l 24v - 164) that the nut holding the oil pump drive to come off.
Only guess I have a til I pull the car apart AGAIN.
Since I got the car it's been in bits more than running. Is this how Alfa's treat there owners?

M

·
0 Posts
your not having much luck Paul...keeping my fingers crossed that it is not as bad as it sounds...

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Is this how Alfa's treat there owners?
Unfortunately 164s are expensive cars that are cheap to buy, so people don't want to spend the money on them. I'm going through the same with mine at the moment. I'm having to replace all the stuff I've already replaced on my TSpark as the previous owner hasn't kept up with it. You may be able to buy them cheap, but remember they're a 30 grand car and a lot of people don't so if you're an enthusiast, you end up picking up the pieces from someone who thought, "ooh, I'm not replacing that, that's too expensive".

Don't lose faith though, once you get it sorted, it will reward you!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do love the car. Plus I think I could do a cam belt change in my sleep now. Re-timed the car (might as well be a cam belt change), Changed the water pump and flushed out all the cooling in about 5 hours today. Not bad I think for a computer operator?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was right the nut holding the 90 degree oil pump gear on had come off. But due to no oil in the cams the back cam had jammed. Spent all day yesterday cleaning up the races (think I done the needed) and timing the car up AGAIN!
The car turns over but does not seem to spark. Had enough by 20:30 last night and could of beat the car with a stick Basil Fawlty style.
As these thing happen fresh head this morning on the way into work (in mother's rover 416 :vomit:) I remebered I did not put the crank sensor on fully. Could this be the problem? I'm not sure.

A

·
0 Posts
"I was right the nut holding the 90 degree oil pump gear on had come off"

Any indication as to what had caused it to come off ? And what steps can you take to prevent a repetition.

Hope it comes good. I think we all feel your frustration, they are not easy to work on at the best of times.

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have heard the nuts are self locking. Mind must of decided against that. I have put it back on tight as I could and with thread lock.
Would like to hear from anyone who know any more info on this.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Hi! Paul, sorry If I appear to be confused, but you went from changing the water impeller to the oil pump nut failure. Did I miss some background posts? Just curious.:):

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Zulu. Yeah I started this post as I have sorted the overheating problem.
But the car is fighting to stay off the road. After sorting the cooling it drove lovely for about 5 miles then lost oil pressure.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Oh right! So presumably you had removed the sump prior to fitting the head. Reckon you have gone the correct route, using Loctite, if the Symonds type nuts weren't locking.:):

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Put the crank sensor back on and no change. Can't way up if there is no spark or no compresson. I can't help but thinking the later. More work!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Don't forget to jot down the tips and snags, as you proceed, for other enthusiasts, and your own reference points.:): Good Luck.;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts