Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anything in particular happened for you to post this Mike ?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the 100th soldier to die this year happened this week...also Blairs comments this week regarding they would of gone into Iraq whether their was proof of WMD or not...the arrogance of this man is beyond belief..if they wanted rid of hussein why did they not just send in a hit team and take the w**ker out...done and dusted...we have young soldiers out there laying down their lives for the sake of pure vanity of politicians, who in the main, are a bunch of robbing barstewards who have no regard whatsoever for joe public...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the 100th soldier to die this year happened this week...also Blairs comments this week regarding they would of gone into Iraq whether their was proof of WMD or not...the arrogance of this man is beyond belief..if they wanted rid of hussein why did they not just send in a hit team and take the w**ker out...done and dusted...we have young soldiers out there laying down their lives for the sake of pure vanity of politicians, who in the main, are a bunch of robbing barstewards who have no regard whatsoever for joe public...
Thank you, that explains it better, and I agree with you, I have a very good friend serving out there just now and I just want to see her back safe and in one piece. The thing about Afghanistan is that they really dont want any help from the outside world, look at their history, we are not beating the Taliban in Afghanistan or Pakistan, what we need to concentrate on is making sure these fanatics are not allowed to spew their bile and hatred on our shores, protecting the British public in our own Island will always take second place for a government that cares nothing for its own people.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I think it will be sooner than later. Brown just needs to spin it so that we are leaving triumphant. He's already said he wants the Afghans in charge of their own security by summer next year. It's all a load of Bulls**t we should never have gone in there in the first place.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
why does the number of soldiers dying mean we should pull out? and 100 is a very low number for the number of years we have been in there.

dont pull out till the job is done or dont bother going in in the first place. dont wimp out just because it gets a but tough:rolleyes:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dont pull out till the job is done or dont bother going in in the first place. dont wimp out just because it gets a but tough:rolleyes:

When will the job be done then? Hang on, we could ask the Russians how long it took them to finish the job out there......

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why does the number of soldiers dying mean we should pull out? and 100 is a very low number for the number of years we have been in there.

What is the job though ? beat the Taliban ? thats not going to happen the Russians could not win in Afghan what makes you think we can ? , establish a democratic government ? thats not going to work for people that dont want our form of democracy. I can see no reason for our troops being there, or am I missing something.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts

It's 100 this year, not the whole campaign. I think the whole pull out/ stay in debate in a minefield of claim and counter claim, but from my point of view if when given the chance of democratic elections the Afghans completely screw it up they should be left to get on with it.
Their way of life and our/USAs idea of their life are never going to be compatible.

Whilst this is a pointless waste of life the fact that over 3,000 people will be killed on our roads this year never seems to be a concern. Now I don't think speed cameras are the answer, education & active policing would be a better policy.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I was talking to my neighbour about it yesterday as he's going back out there after Christmas. I was saying that there didn't seem to be any real objective. He agreed and said the whole bloody thing was a waste of time.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
We can't get the job done because there is no real goal. We are supposed to be fighting the Taliban but thats just a name for basically every Afghan who holds an AK47. It's impossible to WIN because that would involve eliminating the whole population eventually.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
It really is a tough one to call on this.

The public have never been given a clear reason why we are there which makes it very difficult to support.

But, and there is a big but, now that we are there and having caused all sorts of chaos for the population we owe it to them to get it right, fix it, hand over and then and only then effoff.

If we left now can you imagine the bloodbath we'd leave behind as the Taleban re-establish and take revenge?

Have you read what the Taleban philosophy of extreme Islam is? See what they do to women?

And before we all say that it's just a 3rd world backwater with little to threaten us back here, think of this; they are right next door to Pakistan, a nuclear nation. If they succeed in Afghanistan, Pakistan will follow, then possible nuclear war with India. And it would spread to Britain - there would be street confrontations between Hindu Indians and Muslim Pakistanis.

Sorry boys, I think we have to finish the job.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
It really is a tough one to call on this.

The public have never been given a clear reason why we are there which makes it very difficult to support.

But, and there is a big but, now that we are there and having caused all sorts of chaos for the population we owe it to them to get it right, fix it, hand over and then and only then effoff.

If we left now can you imagine the bloodbath we'd leave behind as the Taleban re-establish and take revenge?

Have you read what the Taleban philosophy of extreme Islam is? See what they do to women?

And before we all say that it's just a 3rd world backwater with little to threaten us back here, think of this; they are right next door to Pakistan, a nuclear nation. If they succeed in Afghanistan, Pakistan will follow, then possible nuclear war with India. And it would spread to Britain - there would be street confrontations between Hindu Indians and Muslim Pakistanis.

Sorry boys, I think we have to finish the job.
We can't finish the job. We are not just fighting the Taliban we are fighting a hundred different tribes aswell. This is just what Afghanistan is like, they will always be brutal and unfair in our eyes and long after we leave they will still be fighting each other.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Well despite what is said on TV we will not be out of there anytime soon....i have 18years left to serve in the Army and i can see myself going out there every other year for the rest of my career

There are many arguments to this situation and i can understand most of them....like was mentioned earlier in this post something along the lines of "ask the russian's how long they were there before giving up" there is a valid point to this but then we are not the russians! We may be a much smaller force but we are miles ahead of them in terms of effectiveness and the job we are doing out there is working despite the very sad loss of life we have sufferd!

Although i dont agree with the reasons for us being there or ever being sent there in the first place we are now commited and i can honestly say we are doing a great job out there which is working! To say the the local population dont want us there is not strictly true, there is a massive number of the population who do want us there and respect the work we do......Gaining the trust from the rest of the population (or a large percentage) isnt a million miles away.

Yes we are fighting the taliban and yes it is hard to tell who is who out there at the moment but our main aim is to try and stop them recruiting! this is then going to help riddle down the numbers and get more of the local population on our side!

The news and news papers do tend to print the bad side to what is going on but dont tend to spend much time showing all the schools we have built and filled with qualified (non taliban) teachers and carers for the children to give them a chance in life which they deserve and will hopefully stop them thinking they must go down the route of the taliban!
ok this is a really small thing in the grand scheme of things but it is slowly getting them on our side and im all for it!

Is it worth sacraficing the lives of young troops? my own life? probably not but what people tend to forget is we signed up to do a job knowing that this could well be the end result for us and anyone who joined thinking "it wont happen to me" or something similar is in the wrong job and shouldnt of bothered joining in the first place!

The main argument i can find is that they need to pay us more! Without trying to disrespect anyone here.....why does a traffic warden get payed more than the average british soldier? yeah there is a chance he could get hit by a car but then he deserves it for stealing money of the tax paying public :lol:

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Why does a traffic warden get payed more than the average british soldier?
It could have something to do with the fact that the average British soldier leaves school at 15/16 with no qualifications, can't hold down a job or get a place in college and has no choice but to sign on.

Thats how I see it from my perspective anyway :eek:

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
It could have something to do with the fact that the average British soldier leaves school at 15/16 with no qualifications, can't hold down a job or get a place in college and has no choice but to sign on.

Thats how I see it from my perspective anyway :eek:
Yeah i can see your point there as there are many people joining up who have no choice now

On the flip side, i wanted to be in the Army since i was 5, when i left school i went and got a job or 2 finally setteling into a job for 3years which when i left i was earning 25k per year and got offered a promotion when i handed in my notice, ive now been in the Army 4years and have been recently promoted and im still not above 21k a year! Now i can see why the army is only getting young people who have no other option!

If you give people more of a inscentive to join then perhaps the quality of person we get through the doors will increase! Once a soldier leaves training (anywhere from 4months to 2years after joining) the basic salary is around 16k a year! Once a soldier has left training (depending on what job they do) they will be qualified up to the eye balls so why pay them so little?

I personally dont moan too much about it as im in a relativly safe job in comparison to the infantry soldiers, i wouldnt want to put myself in the firing line of an invisible enemy for 16k a year and i would never expect anyone else to.....its a big ask from our troops and they have to grow up very very fast out there turning the young 15/16 year old school child into something which would take most people many many years to even remotly resemble!

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Once a soldier has left training (depending on what job they do) they will be qualified up to the eye balls so why pay them so little?
The Army have paid for all the training!

If they'd got a decent set of Qualifications prior to joining up they could have entered through the Officers route rather than as bullet fodder.

But you need Indians as well as chiefs for the tribe to operate.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts