Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I maybe imaging this...

When I drove a Rover 25 I felt a little bit bullied by other (faster) drivers and tailgated a lot by angry frustrated people who wanted to go faster around the lovely Suffolk lanes around here.

Then I drove a Ford Focus 3 door sport and all this behaviour died down towards me. I'd say I had an average amount of aggro from other drivers.

Now I drive a shiny red, quite franky, beautiful Giulietta Veloce I never seem to get tailgated any more. Of course this could simply be because I drive faster now, but there is always someone who wants to go faster, and I definitely feel that those sort give me more room now.

And also, people let me out at junctions more now. My theory is that they are so busy staring at the car thinking what's that pretty thing, that they then feel duty bound to let me out.

Unfortunately, I only seem to be as attractive to the ladies as when I drove the Rover 25.

So, am I imagining all of this ?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Years ago I had a GF a bit younger than me and due to insurance needs when she passed her test started her off with a 1.0 Micra that she could bash around a bit without worry whilst she found her driving feet.

I had an Alfa GT at the time and would notice a huge difference to how other road users behaved around me on the occasion I drove her Micra. People would pull crazy manouvers to try and get in front of it or would tail gait really bad when you were just doing the speed limit. I remember one guy in a big 4x4 trying to undertake me in a merge situation where it was my right of way. He misjudged it and ran out of road and nearly drove his car into the kerb. He followed me for a while and called something out of the window before driving off. All because he was driving like a [email protected] and was desperate to get past. All in a 30mph zone where the traffic was flowing freely anyway!

So yes I do think little sheds do get bullied on the road. I guess people assume it will be an inexperienced driver that will hold them up.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought my Rover 25 was lovely once upon a time

It was a quite nice metallic dark blue, you can see it in it's glory days on attachment.

I thought they were a good looking car, but friends assure me they were not. They had rubbish engines and bodywork and handling though. And old people drove them, slowly. Hence why, I think at least, people presumed I was elderly as well.

Attachments

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tailgating terrifies me. It is the number one thing that ruins driving for me. It is always best to pull over and let them past as soon as possible, although it is hard to fight the temptation to get angry with them.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Dark colour-> Alfa red means more people notice you.

if you're being tail-gated, just keep spraying your front wash/wipe.

90% of the time they get the message. Or it just ****es them off. ;)

·
Registered
15,328 Posts
Try driving a Volvo S40. You'll be happily bowling along in the outside lane of the motorway and numpties just drift out in front of you doing 65. When they aren't doing that, they attach themselves to your back bumper. When you get chance to move over, they tear past then drop in front of you and slow down.

·
Registered
38,429 Posts
I have noticed this too with different cars.

In my Ford Puma people would often try and bully you along, but I never had the same problem in my BMW 5 Series.

The Focus we have does seem to get tailgaited a lot compared to my Golf as well.

I find the best way to deal with tailgaiters is to take my time more. Drive exactly at the speed limit, when the time comes to turn off, do it more slowly than normal. Often you can see them almost chewing the steering wheel in frustration.

I have also before now just gradually slowed down to a virtual stop, so that they became frustrated and overtake. Best not to do this when there are other cars around though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tailgating terrifies me. It is the number one thing that ruins driving for me. It is always best to pull over and let them past as soon as possible, although it is hard to fight the temptation to get angry with them.
Likewise. I have only been driving for around 6 months and I get tailgated a fair bit. I have consciously checked to see if I'm too slow for the road I'm on. At times I feel like I'm the only person on the road who adheres to the speed limits.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Dark colour-> Alfa red means more people notice you.

if you're being tail-gated, just keep spraying your front wash/wipe.

90% of the time they get the message. Or it just ****es them off. ;)
Ah hahaha :lol: that's what I do in my Focus, it's got xenon headlights so the headlight washers drench the car behind, it works a treat!!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I tend to find I get equal grief whether in the GTA or the 17 yr old Mondeo. And due to the Mondeo's great condition, real car enthusiasts tend to pay both equal attention. When it comes to motorway hauls etc I love being in the Mondeo....
Loved up types in their BMW's, Audi's etc don't expect to be getting 'held up' in the outside lane at well over a tonne by a P plate car...:lol: The 2.0 Zetec is good for 130...so bring it on ;)

·
Registered
491 Posts
The following combination gets a lot of respect from other drivers on the motorway:

White Mondeo
Two big blokes wearing white shirts and dark ties.
Video camera left on top of the dash board pointing forwards

After about 20 mins on the A1M we realised why everyone was moving out of the way...

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Guess this all goes down to the stereotypical driver, I'm equally guilty of doing it..

Rover 200, any Kia, etc, probably a pensioner or someone who bought the car for a reason such as ' it's British' or it's a safe choice because it's got 7 years insurance...because they know nothing about cars or road craft... ( often found drifting between lanes without indicating, or dawdling at junctions)
BMWs/ Audi's, company car drivers, or badge snobs, typically aggressive, the latter wear the latest fashion, and aggressive without the road knowledge, the former are aggressive but good road knowledge
White vans.. ( not sure I need to go there lol)
People carriers: mums who are protective of their kids, very sensible.

Any others I'm missing?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 59 Posts