Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chrysler Fiat in trouble for gearshifts that don't provide suitable feedback.

Being familiar with the 300 (out of the group listed) I can say that the first few times I got behind the wheel, I did find I had to pay more attention to what gear I was putting the car into than I would normally do, but I wondered if part of that was moving from a standard to an automatic. I don't think the problem is quite as severe as they make it sound, but the tactile response could definitely be better. Mind you, if it is causing the accidents they say it is, I guess it's a real problem.

As for how it feels, there is very little throw to the movement: maybe a quarter inch or a half an inch at best. The best comparison I can make to using is operating the viewing menu on a DVD player where you have to tab down the play video/select bonus material/jump to specific points menu. If you know the video well enough, you can do it be feel (hitting the up/down arrows) and count the moves. If you're completely unfamiliar with it, it's a slower process you have to keep your eyes on.

Actually when I saw the headline I though the article was going to be about the 200's gear knob. I haven't driven one of those, but looking at it, it just seemed like one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" solutions in search of a problem.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
The Ghibli's is similar to this. It is like sequential so it springs back (the stick) after every movement so can be difficult when you first drive one to know where you are.. Not that hard to master though I must say

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
What is the world coming to; next we'll have complaints from drivers of cars with inert steering didn't know which way the wheels were pointing?

Auto wipers for drivers who can't recognise if its raining.

Auto lights for those who can't see that's it's getting dark.

Auto brakes for idiots who can't tell if there is an obstacle; and its NOT like having a fighter pilot next to you, most fighter pilots couldn't find there way home without electronics to guide them.

Auto parking for those who can't park (what about the driving test)?

Auto lane guidance for those losing their way - god help them with the state of the road marking!!

I'm off now to have an auto sleep - doesn't someone do an "auto alarm" when you doze off?

Should this be a rant??

·
Registered
15,852 Posts
Probably but you're not wrong.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
What ever next; complaints from drivers of cars with inert steering didn't know which way the wheels were pointing?

Auto wipers for drivers who can't recognise if its raining.

Auto lights for those who can't see that's it's getting dark.

Auto brakes for idiots who can't tell if there is an obstacle; and its NOT like having a fighter pilot next to you, most fighter pilots couldn't find there way home without electronics to guide them.

Auto parking for those who can't park (what about the driving test)?

Auto lane guidance for those losing their way - god help them with the state of the road marking!!

If off now to have an auto sleep - doesn't someone do an "auto alarm" when you doze off?

Should this be a rant??

You must feel better after that:lol:

·
Registered
15,852 Posts
"The shift knob is a real problem," wrote another driver from Enumclaw, Washington, who reported two unintentional roll-away incidents in a 2015 Grand Cherokee. "I am not a complainer, however this is a major safety issue. It terrifies me to drive this vehicle."

Surely it should be getting out that's terrifying rather than driving? Americans have been running over themselves with automatics since the things were invented. Europeans seem to hardly ever do this, I wonder why that is.

Reactions: Razor1955

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
"The shift knob is a real problem," wrote another driver from Enumclaw, Washington, who reported two unintentional roll-away incidents in a 2015 Grand Cherokee. "I am not a complainer, however this is a major safety issue. It terrifies me to drive this vehicle."

Surely it should be getting out that's terrifying rather than driving? Americans have been running over themselves with automatics since the things were invented. Europeans seem to hardly ever do this, I wonder why that is.
I think you answered that in your piece, they're Americans.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
The gear change still can't be as bad as the Austin Maxi - changing gear on that was once famously described as 'like stirring a knitting needle through a bag of marbles' :biglaugh:

But this is a slightly worrying feature for a car with a poor gearshift:

investigators found that the push-button start-stop feature doesn't shut off the engine if the vehicles aren't in Park, increasing the risk of the vehicles rolling away after drivers have exited.

If you combined that with an 'auto-fail' electronic handbrake (Citroen have a lot of expertise in making them) you've almost got the perfect storm; maybe they're trying to reduce the SUV-driving population...

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the bit that puzzles me.

Actually with that car (the 300 is not mine, and I don't drive it on a regular basis) there was one time I thought it was in park, I went to shut it down (hit the button) and it didn't turn off. Okay, that mean I had to re-examine the situation and discover it wasn't it park as I thought. So then I properly placed it in park, and then shut it down. I can't imagine just getting out of the car with the engine running and leaving it there. That's the part that gives me the most cause for concern. How can people do that?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I dread to think, especially if it's not a whisper-quiet car, but it does take leaving the car running in gear from the realms of the terminally stupid into the realms of 'the not paying enough attention to what you're doing'. So perhaps a nice, loud buzzer (as already suggested) would be a good fix to the stop button issue :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
That's the bit that puzzles me.

Actually with that car (the 300 is not mine, and I don't drive it on a regular basis) there was one time I thought it was in park, I went to shut it down (hit the button) and it didn't turn off. Okay, that mean I had to re-examine the situation and discover it wasn't it park as I thought. So then I properly placed it in park, and then shut it down. I can't imagine just getting out of the car with the engine running and leaving it there. That's the part that gives me the most cause for concern. How can people do that?
I plead guilty to being one of the stupid/not paying attention goons.

My car is whisper quiet and I've put it in park, brake on and got out of the car and wondered why it won't let me lock the door, it kept bleeping at me.

The first time in happened I was sat back in the car for quite a few minutes before it dawned on me the engine was still running.

I've been a repeat offender:biglaugh::thumbup:

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I've been thinking for a while that cars are getting far too complicated and tricksy. Why do we need electronic hand brakes, for example, when a lever and cable is simple and positive in action. Perhaps too much automation is distancing us from the realities of driving causing a lack of attention to what we are supposed to be doing?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
One of the common issues I find is that people who rely on the automation, and possibly did not experience the times when you had to manually flick switches, are absolutely flummoxed when the car fails to do the thinking for them.

·
Registered
15,852 Posts
I've been thinking for a while that cars are getting far too complicated and tricksy. Why do we need electronic hand brakes, for example, when a lever and cable is simple and positive in action. Perhaps too much automation is distancing us from the realities of driving causing a lack of attention to what we are supposed to be doing?
I don't see what issue the electronic handbrake is solving. Pulling up a lever wasn't hard but it's now become pulling up a switch connected to a relay, connected to a motor, connected to some cables, connected to the brakes, and there's probably an ECU involved because there always ****ing is. Ditto the reinvention of the indicator stalk so instead of staying in the indicating position you put it in it returns to the centre. Why? What was wrong with the old way? Ditto keyless start. Are people really so lazy that turning a key in the ignition is too much for them.

Ditto auto wipers, auto lights, endless buzzers, bings, bongs and flashing lights to remind you of **** you should have been aware of anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,568 Posts
Easy fix: reprogram the US version to make a loud, piercing beep when shifting. Job jobbed. :thumbs:
In Fiat Chrysler vehicles equipped with this shifter design, opening the driver's door when the car is not in Park triggers a chime and an instrument cluster alert, and the engine cannot be turned off with the car in gear; however, NHTSA says "this function does not protect drivers who intentionally leave the engine running or drivers who do not recognize that the engine continues to run after an attempted shut-off."
"Hey Honey, the car's making a funny noise"

"That's the engine dear"

:doh:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I don't see what issue the electronic handbrake is solving. Pulling up a lever wasn't hard but it's now become pulling up a switch connected to a relay, connected to a motor, connected to some cables, connected to the brakes, and there's probably an ECU involved because there always ****ing is. Ditto the reinvention of the indicator stalk so instead of staying in the indicating position you put it in it returns to the centre. Why? What was wrong with the old way? Ditto keyless start. Are people really so lazy that turning a key in the ignition is too much for them.

Ditto auto wipers, auto lights, endless buzzers, bings, bongs and flashing lights to remind you of **** you should have been aware of anyway.
That's why I drive a 21 year old Peugeot cabriolet as my 'daily driver' - the only ecus in the thing control the abs, fuel injection and electric roof, so nothing ever goes wrong :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts