Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's try this question also here since I don't seem to get replys on the 147 & 156 section:

What kind of experiences people have on Novitec wheels? Are they considered to be of good quality?

I'm looking into buying new wheels for my 147 GTA and Novitec N5 8*18" is one possible option. However since Novitec wheels are not very common in Finland I don't know how good quality wheels those are.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I guess Novitec have a good rep, but I don't know anything about their wheels except they had some rather poor quality pictures of them on their website last time I check (about 1 yr ago).

I wouldn't buy based on low res pictures, maybe they have updated their photos and their range since then though.

Cheers,
TB

·
Registered
400 Posts
If u talk about QUALITY i think the question to ask yourself when buying ANY type of rims for performance oriented cars is:

- what is the manufacture process of the rims (forged, cast, machined)
- what is the weight of each rim?

I might not have all the technical info but this is wat i learned so far from experience and from reading up...

Forged rims are supposed to be much stronger compared to cast rims. There are different types of forging processes and casting methods, but overall, forged rims produce stronger and lighter rims when compared to cast rims of the exact same size.

So obviously forged rims are more expensive to manufacture. Of the exact same design and size, forged rims are also supposed to have higher impact ratings than cast rims.

Forged rims tend to bend out of shape when impacted with a large force, while cast rims tend to shatter to pieces...

IMO, u got the size and rim width just right at 18" x 8". U get improved traction for the wider rims and the good enough looks of 18" without losing too much steering response and feel & causing too much tramlining. (mental note: there is a very good reason why the FWD FOCUS ST comes standard with 18" x 8" rims and not anything narrower/wider or smaller/bigger...... and seriously it is not for aesthetics only)

Besides this is the offset of the rims... if too wide u get higher wear & tear to ur suspension arms even though it will hug corners better. stick to manufacturer recommended of 35mm for ur GTA or at the very most if u must have at 25mm.... me personally i'd go for 30mm.

So now in summary, if u talk abt quality of Novitec rims, ask urself whether it is forged or not.

it is not to say that cast rims are all bad, when manufactured by a reputable company, cast rims can be good enough and light. But if u must have something better... then forged is the way to go.

Otherwise those personalised (but expensive) lathe machined rims are the next option.

happy hunting.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Can't give you a first hand experience but I've had an association for some time with a UK company called L & M International who distribute Novitec in the UK and from I purchased Novitec body-kit parts and exhaust for my GT. They've had a GT demo car for some time fitted with the 19" version of the wheels you mention (with 235/35 tyres) - I've seen this car regularly over the past 18 months or so and, even though it's in daily use by the L & M guys, the wheels still look as good as new (apart from a bit of inevitable kerb scuffing on part of the rims - unavoidable with that profile of tyre).
My experience of other Novitec products is that it's of the highest quality. Being German, and hence TUV-approved, there's also an added confidence to be had that all there offerings have passed some pretty stringent quality tests.
It will look excellent - go for it! :p

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys everybody! I'm getting a bit conflicting info since on the German GTA forum the replys have been not so encouraging on the quality of Novitec wheels. I have to consider this wheel purchase a little bit more. These Novitec wheels would be reasonably priced since I would get a set for approx. 700 euros (circa 460 GBP).

Tron: I don't think the Novitec wheels are forged and I don't know their weight either.

By the way the wheels look like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
oldboy said:
Go for the exhaust instead, it looks really good. lol
I've got the novitech quad pipes on mine.

excellent quality, lovely rumble (V8-esque) and people comment on how good it looks......actually ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi GS, only have the single twin back box on mine but my what a sound! I imagine four pipes, twice the delight. My g/f thinks it's 'silly' and that I need it repaired. What do they know, eh?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Great pic - wish I'd gone for the quad on the GT now. There's even an existing cut out for them...

Right, where were we, ah yes, Novitec wheels. Buy 'em Portti, on the proviso that they throw an exhaust in for free. Hang on, did someone mention exhaust....?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Everything is to personal taste of course, but I really hate those wheels shown with a vengance. I just don't think they suit the flowing lines of the GTA.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I bought a lot of Novitec stuff for my Selespeed some years back (but no wheels). I would say the quality was OK but not great - most things needed something doing to obtain a perfect fit but 5 years on everything is still in one piece so they must be doing something right !!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did decide to order these wheels anyway. I feel that they look pretty decent for the price. Personally I don't like the fake bolts to make the wheels look like two piece wheels but otherwise I think they look ok. No exhaust for free unfortunately.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is an update of how my 147 GTA looks like at the moment with Novitec N5 18" wheels and a set of Eibach Pro-Street S coilovers. Unfortunately the quality of the pics is not very good. More pics can be found on my GTA-page www.pertti.com/en/gta

Attachments

A

·
0 Posts
Although I do not like the Novitec wheels at all, they seem to look quite well on your car, amazing.
Lovely car, by the way ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts